BuyDisplay ER-TFTM070

Hello, I bought through BuyDisplay a 7 inch resistive touch LCD, here is the link on their side. https://www.buydisplay.com/7-tft-screen-touch-lcd-display-module-w-ssd1963-controller-board-mcu

I have tried to contact support and has been very challenging to say the least. So this board as a single 40 Pins FFC connector, now I wanted to connect it to a Expresssif NodeMCU ESP32 so not sure if that is even possible or need to stick with the Arduino Due. I need to have some pins available on the micro controller for other stuff so not sure if all pins are really needed.

I see the datasheet http://www.buydisplay.com/download/manual/ER-TFTM070-4_Datasheet.pdf, but not sure if all the pins are even needed. For instance, pin 3 /CS, i dont follow where that goes on the nodemcu, the same with the other pins.

Is there perhaps an easier way to do this? I am trying to so a screen for a pool controller I have built so there are a few sensors I already have connected and would like a 7 - 10 inch LCD that can resist operating temperatures of up to 100 F if possible and that can be touch based.

Regards and Happy Thanksgiving!

Paul

Please edit your link. It has an extraneous trailing period(s)

If you want to run it on your Due, I am sure that BuyDisplay have the appropriate Adapter Shield.
Regular 40-pin Adapter Shields have a different pinout.

There is NO possibility of every using ESP32, ESP8266, ...
There are not enough pins.

Yes, you need CS, DC, RD, WR, RST, DB0-DB15 i.e. 21 GPIO pins
and that is just for the TFT.

David.

Hi David, thanks so much for your reply. So what are the alternatives if you want to connect to a ESP32 or 8266 with such? Any suggestions for that? I dont need to have multiple touch, single is enough, but would like 7 - 10 inch and some decent resolution and can be a different interface as long is not that complicated :slight_smile:

I have no objection to the Due, but thought that was an older board and the ESP32 will be much faster. What are your thoughts about it?

Regards,

Paul

10 inch seems extravagant.
7 inch 800x480 is available in SSD1963 (parallel) or RA8875 (SPI / parallel / I2C)
Several libraries available for SSD1963. SSD1963 has no hardware Graphics.

You can drive a SPI RA8875 with a Uno, ESP8266, ESP32, ...
A lot of the Graphics are handled by the RA8875 hardware
Suitable RA8875 libraries are a bit flaky.

If you are sending individual pixels to RA8875 by SPI it is slower. Don't even think about the I2C interface.
But Graphics, Text, ... that the RA8875 hardware manages is lightning fast.

Seriously. A 3.5 inch 320x480 screen is adequate for most projects.
If you buy a Display Shield that plugs directly into the Arduino, you have a neat and tidy unit.

David.

I have one of those 7" SSD1963 displays and updated the TFT_eSPI library to drive it.

An ESP32 can be used with the TFT_eSPI library when wired as an 8 bit parallel interface.

The SSD1963 does not support SPI interfaces.

This is the wiring I used:

// ESP32 pins used
#define TFT_CS 33 // Chip select control pin
#define TFT_DC 15 // Data Command control pin - must use a pin in the range 0-31
#define TFT_RST 32 // Reset pin

#define TFT_WR 4 // Write strobe control pin - must use a pin in the range 0-31
#define TFT_RD 2

#define TFT_D0 12 // Must use pins in the range 0-31 for the data bus
#define TFT_D1 13 // so a single register write sets/clears all bits
#define TFT_D2 26
#define TFT_D3 25
#define TFT_D4 17
#define TFT_D5 16
#define TFT_D6 27
#define TFT_D7 14