Buying things with no FCC/CE certification

It is possible to buy cheap stuff from China with no FCC/CE certification. Is it unsafe to do so? I guess for wireless products like smartphones, it can be dangerous because the radiation can be very high. But how about non-wireless electronics stuff? Things like food are off-limits, of course. Even the Chinese themselves are wary of buying local-made food, like milk power.

Anyone has experience to share?

I buy bare printed circuit cards.
But I don't eat them.

Come to think of it, most hobbyist boards have no certification anyway.

Who's got the tools to do the testing with? Not most hobbyists.

It is possible to buy cheap stuff from China with no FCC/CE certification.

I think the question is:-

It is possible to buy cheap stuff from China with real FCC/CE certification.

The answer is probably no.

FCC has nothing to do with safety.

lightaiyee:
Is it unsafe to do so?

FCC or similar certification has nothing to do with safety. What it has to do with is whether the device in question complies with the laws (local and/or possibly international) regarding RF output power, suceptibility to interference, and limits on producing interference, as well as whether the device operates on the proper frequencies for the locality it is being used in (for instance, those cheap RF modules you can purchase actually come in a number of frequencies; some of those frequencies are not legal to use in the USA, while others are - consequently, others are legal to use in the EU, etc - so you need to make sure you purchase the ones meant for your region if you don't want to run afoul of the FCC restrictions).

lightaiyee:
I guess for wireless products like smartphones, it can be dangerous because the radiation can be very high.

Again - there probably isn't any danger here - but there could be issues if the phone or other device is broadcasting at a higher wattage than legally allowed to (what I am trying to say here is that the device would necessarily harm you physically, but it might cause interference with other devices by broadcasting at a greater power than it is allowed to).

lightaiyee:
But how about non-wireless electronics stuff?

For any kind of electrical or electronic device, what you want to know is whether it will pass UL or whatever similar safety ratings organization - ie, so you don't end up electrocuting yourself, or starting a fire, etc. Here you simply need to use caution and common sense, and the internet to see what people are saying about a product. Realize that most of our electronics now comes from China; in most cases, the stuff is perfectly safe. But in some cases, especially if the price seems "too good to be true" - you may be getting less than you wanted. Power supplies rated higher than they can actually supply and/or with dodgy protection circuits can easily cause a fire, or overcharge a battery (very bad for Lithium chemistry batteries!), etc.

In my experience, most of the stuff I have bought from Chinese suppliers "directly" (ebay or otherwise) has worked out well; for things that I thought might be an issue (like an Android tablet I bought cheaply), when I started using it (and/or charging it), I made sure I was watching it for problems (bulging batteries, overheating, etc). As I saw that it worked properly over time, I treated it like other devices.