Bytes to ASCII

Greetings, I'm new to Arduino and I'm trying to establish a connection between an Arduino UNO and a Illuminato X Machina (IXM) (http://www.liquidware.com/shop/show/IXM/Illuminato+X+Machina). The IXM board works with an Arduino IDE, it's very similar to an Arduino, it follows the void setup() and void loop() format.

I'm testing the connection, so I print Serial.print(80); I get 5648 from the IXM board.

Serial.print(80) on an Arduino will convert it to a string (char[]) and send as byte[], I'm receiving a byte from the Arduino. 5648 >> [56, 48].

I need to decode this on the IXM as ASCII text. I'm using

incoming = Serial.read()- '0'; Serial.print(incoming, DEC); but it's not working. It keeps on printing 5648 and not 80. What can I do?

What can I do?

The usual - post code.

Serial.print(80) on an Arduino will convert it to a string (char[]) and send as byte[], I'm receiving a byte from the Arduino. 5648 >> [56, 48].

I have no idea what that means

I think there is something in your code that causes it. Serial.print does not translate it to a string, and -'0' should make a binary number out of a digit in a string. That are already two things that should be different than your result.

Peter_n: I think there is something in your code that causes it. Serial.print does not translate it to a string,

That would depend on whether he's printing (80) or ("80").

...or '80'