C++

Can You use C++ to program Arduino? Can I use another IDE?

The Arduino IDE uses C++ as it is.

Yes, you can use another IDE. Atmel Studio is one. There are plenty of others.

Take a peek at the source code for the libraries. Most are written in C++.

Thanks guys, can't wait to try my kit! C++ is the easy part, its the Electronics that's going to melt my brain.

Sanction:
Thanks guys, can’t wait to try my kit! C++ is the easy part, its the Electronics that’s going to melt my brain.

I expect you to “troll” electronics and project guidance for answers and help out on the programming subforum. :slight_smile:

BTW, answer is YES for both. Welcome to the forum!

CrossRoads: Yes, you can use another IDE. Atmel Studio is one. There are plenty of others.

My favorite is eclipse using the toolchain from the IDE, but it takes a little know how to set up.

I've used eclipse for a bit for programming c++ on nix. It's slow to load up but yes, it takes time to set things up. I still struggle with importing projects from a different computer. :)

Sanction: Thanks guys, can't wait to try my kit! C++ is the easy part, its the Electronics that's going to melt my brain.

Depending on which Arduino you use there are certain C++ habits that can limit your project.

Even 64K RAM can be small once dynamic allocation (including Container Classes) gets going.

Note that Arduino UNO has 2K RAM for stack and heap, Mega2560 has 8K and external memory capability (Rugged Circuits makes RAM cards), the ATmega1284P chip has 16K RAM --- the ARM-powered Arduinos and clones I have seen have 8K on up and then there's the Galileo.

If you want to get into small environment microcontrollers then learn to use C strings instead of C++ Strings and avoid regular use of instantiate and destruct even though you can use them up to a point.

You usually have more data space in flash than the program requires, it's great for keeping constant strings (prompts, labels, look-up tables) and if you need big space then connecting SD is easy though the 512B buffer (default size) is a concern... when adding gigabytes of storage.

These things make nice stream devices and there is a Stream Class available, source might be JAVA.

The Arduino IDE is worth more than the price but it's got small/tiny quirks to be worked around. The alternative I've heard the best about is Eclipse. I have Code::Blocks for Arduino but haven't needed it enough to switch. Besides, if you want to post examples or ask questions here it should be in the Arduino IDE.