Cable Construction

I am working on a project that involves an Arduino, I am going to be using several different wires 22 GA solid tinned copper to assemble a cable for a device like an RFID reader, and a standard four cable setup for a USB device. I know I can neatly join these cables together using heat shrink tubing, but was wondering if there is a preferred alternative method. I went to Fry's today, and asked one of the associates if they sell something like raw cable jacket for people who are assembling their own cables, and he didn't have any idea. I obviously don't want to go the cable tie route, and if I have to the heat shrink tubing will make do.

The code phrase to find the cable you're looking for at Fry's is "Multi Conductor Wire".

Look at these for ideas of what's available (I know I've purchased split-loom, spiral-wrap, and braided sleeving at Frys Electronics before)...

:slight_smile:

cr0sh:
Look at these for ideas of what's available (I know I've purchased split-loom, spiral-wrap, and braided sleeving at Frys Electronics before)...

Kable Kontrol® Corrugated Tubing | Non Split Wire Loom Tubing
Spiral Wrap Tubing | Spiral Cable Wrap | Cable Ties And More
Cabletiesandmore.com - Cable Management At The Lowest Prices
Braided Cable Sleeving & Braided Mesh Looms

:slight_smile:

Thanks so much for all the links, I think I am going to go with the braidedsleeving.

TeslaFan:
The code phrase to find the cable you're looking for at Fry's is "Multi Conductor Wire".

Your joking ...right :stuck_out_tongue:

Heh. "Your joking ...right"

Nope! If you go up to a store guy and ask "Do you have raw cable jacket for people who are assembling their own cables?" He's going to look at you with confusion.

But if you ask "Do you have Multi Conductor Cable?" He'll say "Sure! Over there!"

TeslaFan:
Heh. “Your joking …right”

Nope! If you go up to a store guy and ask “Do you have raw cable jacket for people who are assembling their own cables?” He’s going to look at you with confusion.

But if you ask “Do you have Multi Conductor Cable?” He’ll say “Sure! Over there!”

Man I wish I would have known that a couple of hours ago.

Another solution I've used a lot is to get wide multicolored "ribbon cable" and separate a strip with as many conductors as I need for a project.

If you have high-speed signals you can arrange the conductors with Ground and /or Vcc on both sides of the high-speed or clock signal in SPI or whatever, so that it has good noise immunity.

Like: Ribbon cable - Wikipedia (Upper right)

A supplier: http://www.elexp.com/cbl_0r14.htm

I've used this stuff for years with all kinds of signals...

Other: Heat-Shrink tubing usually ends up pretty stiff. Fine for a fixed-location cable. Not flexible for moving cables..

Hey, Keep On Wiring!

Solid conductor cable is for internal wiring where the parts wired together don't move. For applications where the cable is intended to flex (e.g. USB), you need stranded conductor wire. Solid conductor wire will permanently kink and break if subjected to very much movement.

For example, if you look at CAT5/6 twisted pair networking, the cable inside the wall is solid conductor (because it never moves and it's cheaper). The patch cable between the wall and your computer is stranded conductor.

-j