Call blocker

Has anyone created a call blocker with an arduino? I'd like to build one that will check the caller ID of the incoming call, and if the callers number is not in a pre-defined list (white list), then hang up on the call. None of the commercial call blockers seem to do this, which is surprising. They have a white list, but all this does is allow it to get prompted to enter 0 or something, and if they do they get through.

ryan81:
Has anyone created a call blocker with an arduino? I'd like to build one that will check the caller ID of the incoming call, and if the callers number is not in a pre-defined list (white list), then hang up on the call. None of the commercial call blockers seem to do this, which is surprising. They have a white list, but all this does is allow it to get prompted to enter 0 or something, and if they do they get through.

Are you referring to a land-line telephone or to a smart phone? If the latter, I don;t think an Arduino can receive a smart phone call.
Paul

Paul_KD7HB:
Are you referring to a land-line telephone or to a smart phone? If the latter, I don;t think an Arduino can receive a smart phone call.
Paul

Sorry, yes this would be for a land line. I did some quick searching and found that there is a module for caller id, just not sure how complicated it'd be to implement what I am trying to do.

ryan81:
Sorry, yes this would be for a land line. I did some quick searching and found that there is a module for caller id, just not sure how complicated it'd be to implement what I am trying to do.

That would be completely illegal to use in the United States. It is not registered with the FCC.
Paul

Paul_KD7HB:
That would be completely illegal to use in the United States. It is not registered with the FCC.
Paul

I suppose it would be illegal for me to build this device from scratch entirely then huh, without me registering it with the FCC?

ryan81:
I suppose it would be illegal for me to build this device from scratch entirely then huh, without me registering it with the FCC?

You can build all you want. It is the attachment to the public switched telephone network that is illegal. You can attach it BEHIND any other device that is registered, if that helps.
Paul

It would be illegal to attach such a device to most telephone networks in the World.

And for very good reason, engineers who work on the wiring are at significant risk from dangerously built equipmement attached to thier wiring.

Then of course there is the potential disruption to the telephone service itself.

Makes sense, thanks guys. I guess Ill go for a commercialized box.

It's an interesting idea as a call blocker. I'm using that caller ID module for a few years. It's connected to an ESP8266, so it could transmit caller info to my mobile phone. The module is hooked up behind an optical network terminal(fibre modem), using a digital voice service. I think it's possible to decline a call, by mimicking the picking up of a phone and hanging by using a relay.

Byork:
It's an interesting idea as a call blocker. I'm using that caller ID module for a few years. It's connected to an ESP8266, so it could transmit caller info to my mobile phone. The module is hooked up behind an optical network terminal(fibre modem), using a digital voice service. I think it's possible to decline a call, by mimicking the picking up of a phone and hanging by using a relay.

I'd love to build it. And I was thinking the same with the relay to manage answering/hanging up.

ryan81:

I'm in the process right now.
It's fairly simple to identify the caller as spam from a list. I use a relay to open the line (so it appears on hook but is not connected to any phone) and monitor the ring signal. When the caller hangs up, the relay reconnects the phone.
This is on an IP phone, so there is no connection to the phone network.

Can you share your parts list/setup? I am planning on using a white list, where I only let a few numbers through.