calling functions within functions in a library object

hey, relative arduino noob here trying to get my first library working.
The only reason I want the library is so I can make my own objects to manage my projects better.
I'm getting this error message:

/Users/-------/-------/Arduino/libraries/standardMode/standardMode.cpp:61:20: error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before ';' token
    colorDirection();
                    ^
/Users/---------/---------/Arduino/libraries/standardMode/standardMode.cpp:62:4: error: 'steppage' does not name a type
    steppage = 100000/ (largestDiff(destRed, destGreen, destBlue)) ;
    ^
/Users/------------/Documents/Arduino/libraries/standardMode/standardMode.cpp:63:2: error: expected declaration before '}' token
  }
  ^
Error compiling.

here is the class function, first line is on line 56:

void standardMode::updatebtn(int activebtn){
  destRed = colorPalette[activebtn][0];
  destGreen = colorPalette[activebtn][1];
  destBlue = colorPalette[activebtn][2];
   }
   colorDirection();
   steppage = 100000/ (largestDiff(destRed, destGreen, destBlue)) ;
 }

My initial thought is that I cant call functions within functions within objects?? colorDirection() figures out which way (up or down) an RGB LED needs to go to get to the destination Color. so for example if the Red LED is at 125 and needs to get to 255 the direction is up.

IDK about the last two error messages entirely!
thanks!

You not only can't call functions within functions, you can't HAVE functions within functions. your updatebtn function ends after three lines, with the first closing brace. The remaining lines are floating in mid-air, which is not allowed.

Regards,
Ray L.