Camera angle following Body(Human Body or an moving object)

Ok , So i will explain This ....

Simply what i want is a Camera that is mounted on a servo or something else that rotates ... that will be mounted on a wall .. to be able to recognize a human body and the camera will rotate to see the body and follow it's movements .... (So simply the camera stays in on place but it rotates)

The camera will always be off until there is a motion detected ... the camera can be connected with computer instead of connecting to arduino directly ...

Well that's what i need , So , Is it Possible == > well i have seen it on XBOX 360 with the kinect ?

How is it possible to recognize a Human Body ... and Recognize other objects like for example Keys or Shoes or Dog.... ? is there an API ?

There are many sensors but one to recognise a human as opposed to dog or other object is not usually available as a shield or off the shelf component.

Weedpharma

I believe the ones I have seen demonstrated required the "target" to have some sort of reflector or tag of some sort on their body that the hardware was able to then lock onto and track. They worked pretty well, but that is all I can remember about it was that the person being taped had to have some sort of target on them.

The Arduino compatible PIXY camera can follow colored blobs around. Have the human wear red clothing.

Saw the ad again for the one I was thinking of. You can check it out and maybe get some ideas from it for your project - it was called soloshot and you can find the info at Soloshot home page. I have no connection with them other than having seen the ad and thinking it looked interesting.

Hi,

The MLX90614 and MLX90615 are thermal heat sensors that are used in non-contact thermometers (Arduino plugin versions are available). They are similar to the PIR detectors.
They are relatively cheap (~$20) and have SBus interface. So you can use then to detect warm blooded humans (but not ZOMBIES!).

I set up a simple tracker using two at 40 degrees offset but the tracking range was only 200 mm.
With some paper screens the range increased to 600 mm. But is was +30 degrees C at the time.

Really, to use these sensors you would need to use a lense to reduce the field of view to a few degrees and then scan the room for object at 35 degrees +/5 degrees (sorry no images as yet - work in progress).

The second problem is that the response time is in the order of 100 ms to 200 ms but a scan time in the order of 2 to 5 seconds may be doable.

There may be better thermal sensors.

Hope this helps, regards Alan0

I have played with thermal sensors in the past and not been happy with the results - if it is cold out, the "bodies" tend to be insulated (either heavy coats etc. or like my dogs (samoyeds) so no heat escapes). Then you have the problem on warm days where the temperature is even close to body temp and all bodies become invisible because everything is that temperature. They are OK inside a house or something like that where the ambient temperature is controlled and significantly less than body temp, but it all falls apart outside has been my experience.

Hi gpsmikey,

I don't disagree - fair comments.

But interestingly enough these sensors are proposed for in car people detection (go figure?). Have a look at the MLX90621 (I want one!).

The PIR sensors are basically the same but with two sensors providing differential output but they do work pretty well outside so there is some potential.

I am putting together one with a fresnel lense (getting the case laser cut now) and will try scanning with a 3 degree FOV. So basically the same as a non-contact thermometer. The MLX90614 has a response time of about 100 ms (not really sure as it is not actually stated in the datasheet). So I should be able to scan a 16 wide x 2 high grid in 3 seconds. Should be good enough for people detection. I will also need sonar to reject far objects.

Really, mohammedioz wants to use a digital camera and something like the Facebook face recognition software. I suspect he will need to go to an IOS or Android forum for that.

Regards Alan0

I can see them working in a car since most of the time, the interior of the car is not body temperature and the people typically are not wearing coats. The issue I ran into outside was if it was a nice warm day (body temp), the PIR sensors went blind. If the person (or animal) was well insulated when it was cold, the sensor did not see them either. I ended up going with a modulated IR beam across the side of the yard that when something broke the beam, it triggered a response.