Camera monitor/light control

Hello,

Arduino noob warning....... sorry in advance...

Would like to know if the following is feasible for an arduino device:

• 3 motion detect cameras.

• capture video locally

• send video to phone app

• send alerts to phone app on detection of motion

• turn on /off 3 lights

• turn on/off alarm siren

If so, what arduino module would be best suited?

I realise this is probably a little ambitious for a first project, but its not rocket science so I should be OK... :wink:

Many thanks in advance,

Nick.

How do you want to do the thing?

I mean do you want a processing unit for each camera, where the camera and its local MCU determines movement take a picture and send it to the brain unit for processing.

Do you want all 3 camera connected to the brain unit, where the brain unit does all the things that there is to do?

Distributed or centralized?

Scroll down the page a bit to see the show

At the moment I don't have a preference. But I would probably choose centralised if thats doable.

Thanks,

Nick.

I realise this is probably a little ambitious for a first project, but its not rocket science so I should be OK... :wink:

It is way too ambitious for a

Arduino noob warning....... sorry in advance...

because at your level it IS rocket science. You're being fooled by the seeming simplicity of consumer devices. But you don't see the complexity of the engineering behind their operation.

nickw909:

• 3 motion detect cameras.
  • capture video locally
  • send video to phone app
  • send alerts to phone app on detection of motion

OK, none of this part has anything to do at all with an Arduino., so it is completely irrelevant

Come to think of it, maybe an ESP32-cam.

nickw909:

• turn on /off 3 lights

• turn on/off alarm siren

This part could be an Arduino matter; you have to figure out how you are going to connect it to whatever is doing the first part. :grinning:

nickw909:
If so, what Arduino module would be best suited?

Suspect you may be needing to use WiFi, in which case you want an ESP8266 instead of an Arduino. But you may instead use Bluetooth, for which there are various options; some Bluetooth modules are programmable to perform the task by themselves.

Sounds like a job for an ESP32Cam module :slight_smile:

I have made a motion detecting security camera sketch for one which may be of interest

You could modify it to turn on your siren etc., it has very limited available IO pins but it is possible to add a MCP23017 chip to pins 12 and 13 to then give you 16 gpio pins to play with.

I have a more basic sketch here to demonstrate how these ESP32Cam modules can easily be used

Many thanks for the replies.

As stated this maybe a little ambitious.....

Think ill pick up an ESP module and have a play fir starts.

Thanks,

Nick.

nickw909:
Think ill pick up an ESP module and have a play fir starts.

If you are getting an ESP32Cam module I would recommend getting one which includes a motherboard as they make using them much easier - Search eBay for "esp32cam mb"
Notes:
The esp32cam which comes with these are slightly modified (one of the GND pins is changed to a reset pin), so with standard esp32cam boards you have to hold the program button when connecting the power to be able to upload a sketch
ESP32Cam boards seem very sensitive to having anything near their antenna so when plugged in to the motherboard you may find the wifi becomes weak/unreliable (same if you try to put one in any kind of case).
Once programmed they just need 5v and GND connecting to run but as with all ESP modules they need a good 5 volt supply so any kind of weird behaviour/rebooting this is always the first thing to suspect.

Idahowalker:
How do you want to do the thing?

I mean do you want a processing unit for each camera, where the camera and its local MCU determines movement take a picture and send it to the brain unit for processing.

Do you want all 3 camera connected to the brain unit, where the brain unit does all the things that there is to do?

Distributed or centralized?

Scroll down the page a bit to see the show

If you are getting an ESP32Cam module I would recommend getting one which includes a motherboard as they make using them much easier - Search eBay for "esp32cam mb"
Notes:
The esp32cam which comes with these are slightly modified (one of the GND pins is changed to a reset pin), so with standard esp32cam boards you have to hold the program button when connecting the power to be able to upload a sketch
ESP32Cam boards seem very sensitive to having anything near their antenna so when plugged in to the motherboard you may find the wifi becomes weak/unreliable (same if you try to put one in any kind of case).
Once programmed they just need 5v and GND connecting to run but as with all ESP modules they need a good 5 volt supply so any kind of weird behaviour/rebooting this is always the first thing to suspect.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.