Camera remote trigger - Arduino?

I am looking to have my PC take pictures using my Canon EOS T3. So, I built a remote trigger using my Arduino Uno that works fine however I am not sure how to let my PC now trigger the Arduino, or if this is a good method. I mean, I think I could use some software like Serproxy and just use a serial relay to do the same thing and skip the Arduino all together.

Just looking for a bit of advice. Thanks!

dmen:
I am looking to have my PC take pictures using my Canon EOS T3. So, I built a remote trigger using my Arduino Uno that works fine however I am not sure how to let my PC now trigger the Arduino, or if this is a good method. I mean, I think I could use some software like Serproxy and just use a serial relay to do the same thing and skip the Arduino all together.

Just looking for a bit of advice. Thanks!

how does "that" look ?
are you using an IR remote or what ?

Why not use the software that came with the camera? USB to computer no need for anything inbetween.

This blog may be helpful. The guy does alot with arduino and has come up with a few configurations.

how does "that" look ?
are you using an IR remote or what ?

It's just a 2.5mm stereo jack where the three wires go directly to Arduion pins 13,4 and ground. Connect 4 and ground it auto focuses, connect 13 and gnd and it takes a pic. Just needing to have the PC do this on command I may be better off with a usb controlled relay instead.

Why not use the software that came with the camera?

Because I need custom interface and such.

Thanks for the blog info. Going to go have a look now.

(deleted)

Care to elaborate? Sorry, fairly new to this still, and I've really no idea how to read the serial buffer like you say.

OK, so using the Serial class I can monitor the serial port and then using the built in Serial Monitor from the tools menu I can send a key and do what I need. But how to go from using the serial monitor to sending from software?

OK, I worked it out. Just needed a program like SerProxy that I could connect to and send serial commands. Works perfect now! Thanks a ton for pointing me in the right direction.

(deleted)

The Arduino would be ideal for making something like an intervalometer. The best thing about it is that you don't have to lug a PC around to use it. Bu as others have said, if it's going to be near the PC anyway, the Arduino would be rdundant.

lar3ry:
The Arduino would be ideal for making something like an intervalometer. The best thing about it is that you don't have to lug a PC around to use it. Bu as others have said, if it's going to be near the PC anyway, the Arduino would be rdundant.

I think that was me who said that. However, without the Arduino I still need something like a relay. I've looked at phidgets and cost wise, at least for a one off, it's about the same. So I might as well just use Arduino, unless you have a suggestion to the contrary.

dmen:
I think that was me who said that. However, without the Arduino I still need something like a relay. I've looked at phidgets and cost wise, at least for a one off, it's about the same. So I might as well just use Arduino, unless you have a suggestion to the contrary.

I don't think you'll need a relay. Grab a 2.5mm jack, plug it into the camera, and measure the voltage and current. If it's 5V or less, and low enough current, you can interface it directly to the Arduino pins. If higher, you can use a transistor. If I get a chance later, I'll test my Canon 1000D to see what the voltage and current are.