Cameria for Motion Tracking

Hi, I want to build a project and considering Arduino but don't know if what I want is doable.

I want to detect motion location via a camera. If figure what I could do is get a bitmap image from the camera, doesn't have to be hi-res, maybe 320px. Then get another frame and diff the two arrays of bytes to determine which spot on the frame had the biggest change. Then maybe build another project with servos and a controller board to point something in that direction.

What I don't know is if the camera boards that connect to arduino are fast enough at transferring data to do this work. Certainly it would have to get several frames a second to track someone at walking speed. I don't need more than that. From what i've read, some of the boards can take 30 seconds to transfer an image. Also, most of the suggested project stuff I've read involve things like capturing images to SD cards; that I have no interest in.

Also, I'd rather not have to right code from scratch do all the serial-port bit-banging and would want something with at least a starter library so I could call some routines to setup up the camera, grab a frame, etc.

Any suggestions for hardware, libraries to look at?

Is what I want to do even doable with arduino?

-l2t

maybe with a YUN or a raspberry PI,

an UNO or MEGA do not have the processing power for video

The PIXY (CMUCam5) is trainable, can track multiple colored objects and is inexpensive. http://charmedlabs.com/default/?page_id=211

Then get another frame and diff the two arrays of bytes to determine which spot on the frame had the biggest change.

So that is one frame buffer for image 1, one for image 2, and one for the difference.
Let's assume monochrome at 8 bits per pixel and a 320 by 320 image.
That is 320 * 320 * 3 = 307200 bytes of memory.

That is way over the top for any Arduino other than the Yun.