can a 20x4 lcd display using I2C have the backlight faded

hello all
can the back light on a 20 x 4 lcd display using an I2C serial module be faded or turned off and on ? i have seen where a lcd connected the regular way can be faded or turned off/on somewhere but i have had no luck searching the forums or googling this for an answer.
if it can please point me in the right direction i would like for it to turn off at night when i am asleep and turn back on in the morning if possible
thanks james

i have found how to turn it off/on but have no idea how to do this at set times any help in the right direction would be appreciated if it is possible thanks james

A link to the datasheet for the display is necessary.

i have found how to turn it off/on but have no idea how to do this at set times any help in the right direction would be appreciated if it is possible thanks james

You could use TimeAlarms http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_libs_TimeAlarms.html to call the function which turns the backlight on and off.

But first, you have to get the Arduino synchronized to a clock so it knows when it is time to turn the lights on and off. It's easiest to do with an RTC module which can regularly update the Arduino time. Some RTC modules, like the DS3231 have built in alarm functions.

A link to the datasheet for the display is necessary.

No. A link to the datasheet for the I2C serial module is what is needed.

Don

Look in your Arduino library for the I2C. There may be a WordPad file called Keywords or Readme. That contains all the commands that you can use.