Can a Ublox Neo-6m acquire GPS data without antenna?

Hi,

I just bought a NEO-6M GPS Shield for Arduino Uno and I’ve tried to configure it with some testing, but still struggling to acquire GPS data.

(Click here for product link)

After reading through various threads and related topics, below I summarise my understanding (do correct me if I am wrong):

• NEO-6M GPS only works perfectly outdoors (to have a good ‘fix’ of GPS satellites)
  • A 5V supply may damage the GPS module, maximum supply is 3.6V (according to ublox website)
  • Some GPS module may take longer time during its first start
  • The ‘FIX’ led will blink once GPS signal is valid
  • UART in Uno is pre-occupied, which means D0 and D1 is not available for serial communication
    Here is the simple code I used to test the GPS shield:
#include <SoftwareSerial.h>

SoftwareSerial gps(3, 2);

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(9600);
  gps.begin(9600);
}

void loop()
{
  while(gps.available())
  {
    char c = gps.read();
    Serial.print(c);
  }
}

Things I’ve examined to observe the problem:

• Double check the GPS Tx and Rx to Arduino digital Pins (Tx to D3, Rx to D2).
  • The shield has a 3v3 voltage regulator, which is safe to supply the shield with 5V pin.
  • The TP led is not lighting up while I’m indoor, indicating there is no GPS fix.
  • Took the shield nearer to balcony for clearer sky view.
  • Tried moving outdoors but still does not get a GPS fix (TP led does not light up).
  • Cross checking the wiring by connecting the shield with jumper cables accordingly.
  • Serial receive but without any GPS data (probably signal not fixed).
    Anyway, here are the serial prints of data received:
$GPRMC,,V,,,,,,,,,,N*53
$GPVTG,,,,,,,,,N*30
$GPGGA,,,,,,0,00,99.99,,,,,,*48
$GPGSA,A,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,99.99,99.99,99.99*30
$GPGSV,1,1,00*79
$GPGLL,,,,,,V,N*64

As in the line: $GPGGA,,,,,,0,00,99.99,,,,,,*48 the 6th phrase is 0 (no GPS fix) and 7th phrase is 00 (zero satellites in use).

One of my doubts, as the product does not come with an antenna, does the problem relates solely when there is no GPS antenna?
On any occasion will be the insufficient current supplied to the Arduino?
To mention I tried to set it outdoor for nearly an hour but still the same problem.

Kiachuan1001:
One of my doubts, as the product does not come with an antenna, does the problem relates solely when there is no GPS antenna?

Who can tell if the only fault is the lack of an antenna ?

Lack of an antenna is certainly one very good reason for a GPS not picking up any fix data.

I see a GPS antenna "UFL" connector to the upper left of the GPS module, pretty sure you're going to need one.

srnet:
Lack of an antenna is certainly one very good reason for a GPS not picking up any fix data.

Hmm definitely will buy one asap to check it out. Thanks!

CrossRoads:
I see a GPS antenna "UFL" connector to the upper left of the GPS module, pretty sure you're going to need one.

Yes, I do recognise it and already wondering about to buy one.