can anyone see anything wired wrong?

I'm just checking with you guys if you think this is wired correctly. Im using it with an ftdi programmer from sparkfun and this is an atmega8-AI TQFP. and dont worry about rx and tx i know those are connected correctly.

I would connect VCC to AVCC as well, and add 1 or 2 decoupling caps to the VCC/GND pins of the ATmega.

-- The Quick Shield: breakout all 28 pins to quick-connect terminals

This is the exact same design that my pcb has. I soldered all the parts onto my pcb nicely, but when I cant upload any code. it gives me this error: avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00 avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51 I do know that this means that the atmega isn't responding with the computer. Can you guys think of some suggestions of what might be wrong.

Did you program a bootloader on your AVR?

Did you plug the cable in the right way?

What is the resonator frequency?

-- The Gadget Shield: accelerometer, RGB LED, IR transmit/receive, light sensor, potentiometers, pushbuttons

So where is the serial input taken from? You have given too few detailed for a proper diagnosis.

yes the right bootloader is on it. I do have it plugged in the right way and the frequency is at 16 mHz. and the leds for the rx and tx lines dont blink except from the tx every once and a while(usually every 3 - 7 sec). nothing is being transmitted by the atmega.

At this point I'd be breaking out the oscilloscope. Or maybe the reset circuit isn't working through DTR. Have you tried pressing the reset button right before trying to bootload?

-- The Quick Shield: breakout all 28 pins to quick-connect terminals

How do you know RX and TX are connected correctly? I think you've got them labeled backwards on the FTDI connector for one. I'm pretty sure that TX on the FTDI goes to RX on the Arduino and vice versa, and the pin you have labeled RX there is the one I have connected to my RX line so that should be labeled TX on the FTDI.

Also, you have pin 4 going to RAW. I think that ought to be going to VCC.

I triple checked the RX TX wires and I do have a jumper on raw to vcc.

the frequency is at 16 mHz

Well, there you have it ;D Either your shift key is broken, or your processor is running a billion times too slow.

the datasheet for the microprocessor says 16 - 20 MHz.

Ah! Your shift key does work!

the datasheet for the microprocessor says 16 - 20 MHz

It says no such thing.
It says “fully static”, so 16mHz would be a valid, if tedious, clock speed.

Sooooo what do i change my clock speed to??

... and dont worry about rx and tx i know those are connected correctly.

I triple checked the RX TX wires

You may still have them exactly backwards. The 'correct' connections rely on the correct implementation of the RS-232 protocol which virtually never happens. If both of your devices are wired as DCE devices, or if both are wired as DTE devices, then you must connect Rx of one to Tx of the other. If you have one DTE and one DCE then Rx goes to Rx and Tx to Tx.

Don

The pedant is obliquely stating that mHz and MHz are not the same.

Like grammer gNazi's they infest places like this.

grammer

And let's not forget the spelling police!

;D

Like grammer gNazi's they infest places like this.

And their devices work while his doesn't. I wonder if there is any connection between paying attention to all of the technical details and getting a technical device to work?

Don

@mrmeval: I work on devices where resistances range from mohms to Mohms and frequencies from mHz through to GHz.

Pedantry pays the bills.

(And yes, back in the days of toggle-switch boot loaders, my breadboarded 6800 did run with a (human-operated) mHz-region clock - the time it took to set up the next instruction on the address and data switches, before hitting the "load" switch)

look guys, last time i checked your on the arduino forum. I'm not trying to get into an argument about grammar or spelling. I just want some good information on what might be causing my board/microprocessor to malfunction.

Thanks, CG

I just want some good information on what might be causing my board/microprocessor to malfunction.

Have you tried reversing your Rx and Tx lines? I know you are convinced that you have connected them correctly but you haven't told us how they are connected and why you think those connections are correct.

Don