can arduino bluetooth communicate to mobile phone

Can arduino bluetooth communicate to mobile phone bluetooth.
i have project in which i have to use bluetooth tag that can be hosted by mobile phone. function of project is when bluetooth tag is out of range of mobile bluetooth it generates a message or alarm on mobile phone.

can this done by arduino bluetooth device?

The BT Arduino uses the Bluetooth Serial Port Profile. So if your phone's bluetooth stack supports the serial port profile you will be able to communicate.

In terms of detecting the presence of the device or distance between them, the BT Arduino wouldn't support anything like that. (It is just a serial port.)

I've been playing with my droid and GPS and bluetooth capabilities what i've run into trying these options the Bluetooth has to constantly check to verify device is within range... problem being it drains the battery really quickly.

Not stating if it works or not, just stating the software on the phone could cause a serious battery drain.

thanks james,

the thing is that i would like any mobile phone MIDP 2.0 and CLDC 1.1 to communicate (poll) with BT Arduino, BT Arduino will be used as a tag for different objects. these objects are being monitored by mobile phone.

Q1) does MIDP 2.0 and CLDC 1.1 profiles (consider nokia 5310) supports BT Ardunio?? if you can suggest any mobile phone that would huge favor to me!

Q2)i want my phone to detect the presence of BT Ardunio, is it possible??