CAN BUS scan tool

Hi guys, can any of you recommend a CAN BUS monitoring tool for me that i can read can messages and send messages?

Searching for CANBUS in this forum or via Google ?

UKHeliBob:
Searching for CANBUS in this forum or via Google ?

I have, and also downloaded several but not getting what I want hence the post.

I know nothing about CANBUS so can probably be of little help, but even if what you found does not do exactly what you want I imagine that you found something that will let you at least read the messages.

I found this with a simple Google search http://www.instructables.com/id/Hack-your-vehicle-CAN-BUS-with-Arduino-and-Seeed-C/

I have a preference for things from Kvaser. I have had good luck with things from esd electronics, Inc. CANBUS things from National Instruments were a nightmare; I will never again do business with them.

Unless you constrain your question you are unlikely to get much help. The scanning / logging / injecting tools are (nearly) always developed for specific domains (e.g. SAE vehicle bus standard).

[quote author=Coding Badly link=msg=2161830 date=1427569894] I have a preference for things from Kvaser. I have had good luck with things from esd electronics, Inc. CANBUS things from National Instruments were a nightmare; I will never again do business with them.

Unless you constrain your question you are unlikely to get much help. The scanning / logging / injecting tools are (nearly) always developed for specific domains (e.g. SAE vehicle bus standard).

[/quote]

Hi there, i did download Kvaser but i believe it only works with there software.

To try and constrain my question - what i'm trying to do is sniff the can messages from a vehicle, i'm trying to find the door locks message, once i have that message i will be using a can module to send that message into the can.

The only experience I have with the vehicle protocol is segmentation which is unlikely to ever help you and certainly won't help at this point.

There is a good chance someone else has done something similar. I suspect some time The Great and Wise Gorcle may get you the exact door lock message for your vehicle.

You might look into Elm Scan or the ELM chip. It used to be open source but I couldn’t find their inside info the last time I looked.