can crusher

hello there is an awsome can crusher on youtuve Fully Automatic Can Crusher - YouTube
i want to make something like this i know the guy used arduino
what would i need to make this in the video he has a laptop hooked up to it will these board store a program ?

im new to all this and this may be a little more than im capeable of but im hoping i can get the help to make it happen
thanks

Do you have all the mechanical parts done?

Paul

All you would really need is a sensor to tell the arduino to activate the can crushing procedure and motors to move the can. It could be a very simple program and the rest is mechanical. You can store the program on the arduino so you dont need a computer plugged into it all the time.

What you'll need:

1. Some way to detect the can, like a phototransistor and led
  2. A stepper motor to move the can under the hydraulic piston
  3. Another motor to drop the can

Your program will start with waiting for the sensor to say there's a can, then moving the can into position, activating the piston, retracting the piston, dropping the can, and finally moving the tray back and waiting for another can.

You could probably get it down to one motor and one sensor with a clever mechanical design

Make a hand sensor????
So you don't smash your hand?
MAybe a microphone. If there is a girlyman scream, stop the crushing?? :art:

Isaac96:
Make a hand sensor????
So you don't smash your hand?
MAybe a microphone. If there is a girlyman scream, stop the crushing?? :art:

Back in the Industrial Age, I ran a drill press that required simultaneous pressing of two buttons, separated by enough distance so I needed to use both hands to turn it on. It wouldn't drill unless I pressed BOTH buttons at the same time, so I physically could not stick my hand in the machine while it was clamping/drilling.

Smart.