Can I add a status LED to the I2C bus?

I was playing with some EEPROM chips I ordered when I had the idea to add an indicator LED to the I2C bus much like the TX/RX LEDs on the Arduino board. The problem is I have absolutely no idea how I would accomplish this.

I'm looking at the 2 analog pins on the Arduino that I'm using for this and I'm baffled. Any tips or best-practices on doing something like this without disrupting the circuit would be amazing.

Thanks in advance

EDIT: I probably shouldn't have said "without disrupting the circuit" as it comes off a bit ambiguous. "While keeping everything working" might have been a better choice of words.

Any tips or best-practices on doing something like this without disrupting the circuit would be amazing.

Hack the library. It wouldn't be exact, but it would save any fiddling with the electronics of the bus.

You're saying the easiest way would be to alter the code and use another pin connected to an LED? Though, for future projects I would like to know how to go about adding indicators with various components, so the electronics fiddling I still consider interesting.

I'm saying that if you don't want to alter the electrical characteristics of the bus, it is the only way. (EE gurus may differ)

Simply drive an LED from a FET connected to the clock bus. It adds a bit of capatance to the bus but not much.

See? Told ya! :)

Fantastic! Thanks Mike and AWOL, I'm off to go try it. :)

Simply drive an LED from a FET connected to the clock bus. It adds a bit of capatance to the bus but not much.

Same trick works for USB, rs232, SPI and other busses?!

Same trick works for USB, rs232, SPI and other busses?!

Yes.