Can I automate a water-valve system with motors?

Hi, I’m interested in doing a fun little project but don’t really know where to begin. I have a water twist valve that controls the sprinklers to my yard and its placed about 2ft into the ground in a 1ft diameter pvc tube (to protect it from being buried). And I was curious as to if I could attach something to this handle and twist it using motors or something with an arduino so it could do it for me. Any suggestions? Thanks! (also, don’t have the budget for a solenoid!)

OP image:

It is a lot easier to use a ball valve and a couple of gear motors.

Quite often these require a decent amount of torque.

Maybe fitting a solenoid valve somewhere before that would be a more suitable option.

the_hoff:
Hi, I'm interested in doing a fun little project but don't really know where to begin. I have a water twist valve that controls the sprinklers to my yard and its placed about 2ft into the ground in a 1ft diameter pvc tube (to protect it from being buried). And I was curious as to if I could attach something to this handle and twist it using motors or something with an arduino so it could do it for me. Any suggestions? Thanks! (also, don't have the budget for a solenoid!)

To be quite frank with your post. If you don't have a budget for a solenoid valve, then you don't have the budget for a motor, the mechanism to connect it to the valve, the supporting structure for the motor, the micro switches to detect the limits of opening and closing the valve, the power supply for the motor, the relay to control the motor, and the Arduino.

Paul