Can i connect all of those components together?

Hi,
Im trying to build a homing robot using Arduino and RDF (radio directional finding) method.

The Arduino world is new to me but i think i figured most of the hardware i need but im not sure if i got it right or i need some additional parts.

The basic operation:
1) The robot is at a docking station
2) a transmitter is turned on for a continues signal (using a walkie talkie with a modified PTT switch)
3) using the RDF method the robot will search for the signal and drive to it (with another modified walkie talkie conected to the Arduino board as a receiver)
4) when it gets close to the target (the transmitter) an US distance measuring transducer will cut off the servos for the wills at a set distance from the target
5) i want it to be a backup system using a RC controller (based on Arduino) so i can cut off the RDF system and use the RC remote to control the robot
6) i want to connect an OLED screen for some info to show on it

The components i want to connect
On the robot:

The OLED screen should show the info from the temp/humidity sensor and from the Wireless Remote 315MHZ Receiver module.

For the RC controller:

As i Said, i have absolutely no experience with Arduino but as i see it now there are a lot of components drawing power and im not sure the Mega can handle it all.

So this is what i want to ask, is it possible to connect all those components to the Mega board or do i need to divide them to smaller board like the Nano or Micro?
And is it possible to to use the RC remote to switch off the RDF system and use the remote to take control?

Basically i just want to know if what im planing to do is possible in any way.

This is an ambitious project. The Arduino could probably do it but can you?

I would advise you to start with each individual part and work up to putting them together.

Weedpharma

weedpharma:
This is an ambitious project. The Arduino could probably do it but can you?

I would advise you to start with each individual part and work up to putting them together.

Weedpharma

I think i'll manage (with a bit of effort) with the help of google and this forum :wink: but im not even sure where to start.

I noticed that some of the components listed above are using the same pins on the board, especially the power pin (5v) so im guessing that i'll be needing an extra power supply connected directly to some o the components (correct me if im wrong).

Maybe it'll be wiser to divide all of the component on to individual boards, like the 315Mhz receiver, the Humidity & temp sensor and the OLED screen to a single Arduino Micro (if it can handle it) and interconnect all the other circuits.

Im hoping that someone could provide me with some guidance to get me started

As @weedpharma has said, write a short program to deal with each piece of the project on its own. When you are confident that you know how each part works, start putting them together. That is how an experienced programmer would approach new parts or techniques.

It will be much easier to get advice if your question (and code) is concise and not confused by other parts and problems.

I suggest you leave the incorporation of the display until last as the code for displays tends to be lengthy and obscures the rest of the program.

Have a look at planning and implementing a program

Keep in mind that your concept of how do achieve things will almost certainly change as you gain experience.

Read as many of the Threads on the Forum as you can. Even if they are not directly relevant to your concerns you will learn a lot from them.

...R

Robin2:
As @weedpharma has said, write a short program to deal with each piece of the project on its own. When you are confident that you know how each part works, start putting them together. That is how an experienced programmer would approach new parts or techniques.

It will be much easier to get advice if your question (and code) is concise and not confused by other parts and problems.

I suggest you leave the incorporation of the display until last as the code for displays tends to be lengthy and obscures the rest of the program.

Have a look at planning and implementing a program

Keep in mind that your concept of how do achieve things will almost certainly change as you gain experience.

Read as many of the Threads on the Forum as you can. Even if they are not directly relevant to your concerns you will learn a lot from them.

...R

Tnx for the guide, i just have one question before i start so i can plan ahead.
Is a single Arduino Mega can handle all of the components, directly connected to it?

Yes, it seems feasible to connect all of those devices to a Mega at the same time. Probably any Arduino except the smallest LilyPad could do it.

I'm curious as to whether you've been able to successfully use RDF, using modified walkie-talkies, to perform the same task of locating and navigating to the transmitter - alone, with nothing more than the modified radios and your own two feet.

I only ask this because it seems like such a system couldn't work reliably over small distances, but I am not versed in radio well enough to know whether this is true or not; I seem to recall that in order to work at smaller distances (between the receiver and transmitter), you had to use much higher frequencies (higher than cheap FM walkie talkies? I don't know)...

cr0sh:
I'm curious as to whether you've been able to successfully use RDF, using modified walkie-talkies, to perform the same task of locating and navigating to the transmitter - alone, with nothing more than the modified radios and your own two feet.

I only ask this because it seems like such a system couldn't work reliably over small distances, but I am not versed in radio well enough to know whether this is true or not; I seem to recall that in order to work at smaller distances (between the receiver and transmitter), you had to use much higher frequencies (higher than cheap FM walkie talkies? I don't know)...

Well at first i was looking onto the RSSI method used by RC plane modelers (for FPV video stream), but was skeptical about the accuracy at close range.
It took me a wile to fined this guy's project, but im glad i did because it looks like its working just fine.
I just need to study his code so i can modify it for my needs.
Hadn't had the chance to test it yet (waiting for the parts to arrive), but it looks promising.

Simondo, please do not quote the previous post when you answer. We know which one as it is directly above.

If you are replying to an earlier post, then by all means quote it so we know which post you are replying to.

Weedpharma

Just for the sake of the argument, lest say i have all the sketch written and it works (for all of the components combined).
How can i be sure (maybe there is a way to check it) that i actuality can connect all of the components to the Mega and in what configuration.
Is there a way i can plan the wiring scheme, and see if the board supports it or not?

Draw it up as a schematic and post it here.
Having sufficient current for power will be a concern. The Mega regulator is only good for 800mA, and that is only likely with a 7.5V supply.
The list of parts in the first post sounds okay, assuming you have a separate supply for the motors.

simondo:
Is there a way i can plan the wiring scheme, and see if the board supports it or not?

You may be one of the few who can conceive of a project in great detail and then implement it exactly as planned. I am not one of those.

I suspect it is very likely (i.e. 99% certain) that the detail of your final project will vary significantly from what you have in mind now.

A Mega has a lot of connectivity. If this was my project I would just assume the Mega will be sufficient and spend my time on other problems. (And, no, I am NOT giving a money-back guarantee).

...R