Can I connect Arduino Uno directly, unregulated to a battery ?

Battery is 12V, 10A

Says here that 12V is the upper recommendation, so it depends how confident you are that your particular battery never goes over 12V.

If you power an Arduino Uno through its barrel jack then the voltage regulator on the Arduino board looks after things.

Quote from the link in Reply #1

Input Voltage (recommended) 7-12V
Input Voltage (limit) 6-20V

In case you are wondering, it does no harm to have more amps available than are needed. An electrical device will only take what it needs. However it is essential to respect the voltage limits.

Your battery is unlikely to be described as 10A which would mean 10Amps. It is much more likely to say 10Ah meaning 10 Amp-hours. That means that, in theory, it can provide 10 amps for one hour or 1 amp for 10 hours. It may also be capable of briefly providing 100 amps and starting a fire if you short-circuit the terminals - which is why batteries need to be managed carefully.

If you want to power the Uno directly through the 5v pin then YOU must ensure that the voltage never exceeds 5v. I have powered some Arduinos that way using 3 x AA alkaline cells.

...R

Robin2:
If you want to power the Uno directly through the 5v pin then YOU must ensure that the voltage never exceeds 5v. I have powered some Arduinos that way using 3 x AA alkaline cells.

5.5V is the upper safe limit for the ATmega processors, 6V is the abs-max

This means 4 NiMH cells can be used (5.3V or so), but not 4 alkaline nor a 6V lead acid.

Hi,
A lot of "powering Arduino" information is HERE

12V MIGHT be ok, BUT (That's an Engineering term)..

• When do you charge the battery?? Up to 14.4V then??

• Is the battery in a vehicle? What else is connected? Vehicles often put nasty spikes on "12V"..

• If unsure, you can use a 9V switch-mode regulator from "12V" and it will be more tolerant of changing input voltages.

Note: There are some Arduino UNO compatible boards that have up to 23V input rating, like the YourDuino RoboRED HERE

DISCLAIMER: Mentioned stuff from my own shop...