Can I control quadcopter with my phone ?

I am trying to build a quadcopter and don’t want to use the 6 channel transmitters from hobby shops. I wanted to know if I can control it with my phone using the Arduino RC app and bluetooth or WiFi module.
Is it possible to do it and how ?

I have attached the schematics and the code which I found on the internet.

Thanks to everyone who replies.

Quadcopter_Code_Arduino.ino (37.8 KB)

You wouldn't have very much range with those methods, but I'm sure it's possible. You're going to have to be able to write a little code probably.

I don't have a quadcopter but as far as I can see their control can be thought of as having two parts. The complex part is the onboard system that uses gyros etc to maintain stability so that it can hover in place. The other part is the business of sending it commands to tell it which direction to move. That is a much simpler process.

If the 'copter is only to be used indoors it should be possible to control it over a Bluetooth link. I think the programming for that would be a lot easier than using WiFi. Bluetooth is just serial-by-wireless

In case you have not considered it another option is to make a hand-control unit using an nRF24L01+ 2.4Ghz transceiver at each end of the wireless link. It has the potential for much greater range. This Simple nRF24L01+ Tutorial may be of interest.

...R

As you said, for outdoor use 2.4ghz transceiver would work better. I can use that then, but still I don't know how to program it to work like a hand held controller. Can you help me with that, just a few hints. Do I have to use potentiometers or buttons ?

A joystick which has two potentiometers for right/left and forward/back would be good. And another potentiometer for throttle. That should do most of it.

But 2.4GHz RC transmitters and receivers are very cheap these days. Why don’t you want to use them?

Steve

nerd: As you said, for outdoor use 2.4ghz transceiver would work better. I can use that then, but still I don't know how to program it to work like a hand held controller.

Have you studied the examples in the link I gave you? There are details for wiring and programs.

You have to decide what features you want on your hand controller - whether potentiometers or buttons or toggle switches or some of each. The Arduino in the hand controller then collects the data from the pots, buttons etc and sends it the Arduino in the 'copter. As far as the Arduino in the 'copter is concerned the pots and buttons might have been connected to it directly.

I have a hand unit that I use to control a model train. It has a pot for speed and a slide-switch for direction.

When you decide exactly what data you want to send we can help you get it into shape for the wireless transmission if you get stuck.

But DO NOT WASTE your time on this until you are confident that you will be able to get the autonomous part of the quadcopter working.

...R