Can I create an arduino distribution package?

Is it possible to create a simple distribution package to re-program an arduino with pre-compiled code?

I have a project (on an arduino mega) which I've sent to a friend in the states. I've since upgraded the code here in the UK, and want to upgrade both my unit and his. Can I compile an executable (here) send it (i.e. email it) to the USA, and get him to upload it there?

My friend is technically unskilled, but an enthusiastic fiddler. So I'm looking for a simple process that he can't scr3w-up! (hope he's not on this forum !) I'm very reluctant to actually send the source code, because I know I'll have to talk him through the process of installing the arduino software and copying libraries to the correct places and (worse than that!) he'll start fiddling with the source code and then ask me to fix it!

Is there a solution that's reasonably simple, and doesn't involve physically posting hardware abroad?

Thanks

Fulliautomatix: Is there a solution that's reasonably simple, and doesn't involve physically posting hardware abroad?

The "executable" compiled from Arduino is the "hex-file" with the '.hex' extension. You can send him the hex-file simply as a file attachment by e-mail.

You then can tell him (he must have Windows then) to use the XLOADER to upload a hex file to his board.

You will see the path and name of the compiled hex-file if you enable detailed output.

File->Preferences->Show verbose output during:. Tick boxes for compilation and upload. (Or only during 'compilation').

The created .hex file is what you need to send by e-mail.

P.S: Of course, he must have the USB drivers for the Arduino board installed. So perhaps he should install any Arduino IDE, for Windows perhaps the "Installer Version 1.0.6" or above. Or you might send him the contents of the drivers directory for manual board driver installation.

Thanks Jurs - that’s the ticket!