Can I drive multiple stepper motors.

My application requires multiple stepper motors but there will only be one motor operating at a time and they all work the same way. (same code).

can i use one drive to drive all the motors and use relays to determined which motor is operating?

thanks

Probably not. Disconnecting a stepping motor from an active driver usually destroys the output transistors.

In any case, relays are expensive and unreliable for switching DC current. It would probably be cheaper to have a driver for each motor.

I guess that you could switch between steppers with relays, but up to around 2A per phase stepper drivers are probably cheaper and easier to use than relays. You would need a 4 pole (assuming bipolar steppers) relay and a relay driver for each motor. What size (current per phase) are your steppers.

groundfungus evidently hasn't seen the warnings on the Pololu motor driver product pages.

Warning: Connecting or disconnecting a stepper motor while the driver is powered can destroy the driver. (More generally, rewiring anything while it is powered is asking for trouble.)

I have seen that warning. Just did not remember it.

If i use one driver for each motor, can i use only one controller with relays?

jremington:
groundfungus evidently hasn't seen the warnings on the Pololu motor driver product pages.

What would the relays do?

Why not provide some details, so we have a clue what you are talking about?

I will use one controller and connected to multiple drivers through relays. the controller will activate any specific relay to start the motor.

I am trying to eliminate using multiple controller.

thanks

jremington:
What would the relays do?

Why not provide some details, so we have a clue what you are talking about?

How many drivers / motors?
You need at least two pins for each driver. Step and Direction.

jdsays:
I will use one controller and connected to multiple drivers through relays. the controller will activate any specific relay to start the motor.

I am trying to eliminate using multiple controller.

Why are you trying to eliminate multiple controllers. It seems to me much easier to "switch" between motor drivers using computer logic rather than hardware.

And you still have not told us what sort of stepper motors you are using - post a link to the motor datasheet.
And tell us what stepper motor drivers you will be using.
And how many motors.

It is very difficult to give sensible advice when you don't provide all the information.

...R
Stepper Motor Basics
Simple Stepper Code

(deleted)