Can I have a name other than 192.168......

I have this nodemcu controlling relays and reading the time, but it would be nice to type a name like house or something, other than 192.168.1.88 is this possible?

Google "DNR"

and then google DNS: Domain Name System

I did but I did not find any answers. Lots of people have the same question evidently, which is how can I get to my esp8266 device without typing the 192...... stuff.

do you have "favorites" or "bookmarks" in your browser?

Yes, and i have done that, still ugly tho.

Screen Shot 2019-05-30 at 3.16.45 PM.png

[quote author=Geek Emeritus link=msg=4193504 date=1559242520] and then google DNS: Domain Name System [/quote] Bloody medical auto-correct!

Or look at you local hosts file.

what my modem says

sevenoutpinball:
what my modem says

Images from Reply #7 so we don't have to download them. See this Simple Image Guide

...R

sevenoutpinball: it would be nice to type a name like house or something, other than 192.168.1.88 is this possible?

The entire internet works using numbers like that.

The ability to type something like forum.arduino.cc is achieved by having a server somewhere that can convert that name into the number it is associated with.

...R

You need a local DNS server, and that means some hardware to run it on. A Raspberry pi can do this , but its a lot of effort for very little benefit.

sevenoutpinball: what my modem says

Make an entry in your devices (with the browser) host file, its been mentioned already.

I don't understand Reply #12

If you have figured out a solution to your problem then perhaps you would explain it for the benefit of other Forum readers.

...R

Yes, it is easy to include a picture in the body once you have it uploaded somewhere, that's all i was saying. As far as getting a word to translate to 192..... etc., on my home router no that remains unsolved.

Now as far as the former, the best solution is to make it like facebook where you simply drag a picture to the text body and it appears. Why can't it be done that way. I have not seen a message board this cumbersome since the 1990's

Cheers.

sevenoutpinball: Yes, it is easy to include a picture in the body once you have it uploaded somewhere, that's all i was saying.

Now as far as the former, the best solution is to make it like facebook where you simply drag a picture to the text body and it appears. Why can't it be done that way. I have not seen a message board this cumbersome since the 1990's

Perhaps ask that question in the 'Website and Forum' section ......................

sevenoutpinball: ... I have not seen a message board this cumbersome since the 1990's

and by 2020, i'm guessing you expect any message board "worth their salt" will have facilities to plug into your brain so you can just "think" the post and not go through the hassle of using your fingers.

BabyGeezer: and by 2020, i'm guessing you expect any message board "worth their salt" will have facilities to plug into your brain so you can just "think" the post and not go through the hassle of using your fingers.

I have heard people talking about some new-fangled gizmo called "Alexa"

...R

Robin2: I have heard people talking about some new-fangled gizmo called "Alexa"

...R

such a drag - you still have to exercise your vocal muscles !!

:P