Can I power a large number of stepper motors (25+) using one single power supply

Hello there,

I am working on a project in which I have to use a lot of stepper motors (28byj-48 5v w/ A4988 drivers). They are controlled by arduinos (around 7 motors per arduino). I have one 30V power supply and was wondering if it is feasible to connect them all in parallel with the power supply. Any help advice or guidance is greatly appreciated.

30V power supply

What is the current capacity of the 30V supply?

I have one 30V power supply and was wondering if it is feasible to connect them all in parallel with the power supply.

Possible and feasible are two different things. It IS possible, IF your power supply can supply the necessary amount of current. Whether is makes sense to use a single power supply, or not, only you can determine.

groundFungus: What is the current capacity of the 30V supply?

It's 0-10A. Each motor has about a 200mA draw. Theoretically, If I get a power supply with enough current capacity is it ok to be connecting so many components in parallel? Are there things I should be watching out for?

jeggv: It's 0-10A. Each motor has about a 200mA draw. Theoretically, If I get a power supply with enough current capacity is it ok to be connecting so many components in parallel? Are there things I should be watching out for?

Things to watch out for is the voltage drop from one end of your parallel connection to the far end of the connection. Wire has resistance, remember. And the more current, the larger the voltage drop. Use appropriate size wire.

Paul

jeggv: It's 0-10A.

Does that mean that it is the sort of power supply where you can adjust the output current?

If so I would not assume that it would be suitable for stepper motors. The current limiting circuitry in the power supply might fight with the current limiting circuits in the stepper drivers.

...R

if you do not already, add a large cap to the power connections at each stepper driver to provide power to the driver when it needs it.