Can I power a rated DC5V 3W Water Pump using three rated 1.5V batteries?

Probably, but a 3watt motor will impose a load current of around 3/5 = 0.6amps and a starting current of maybe 5 times that.
What size (AH rating) of 1.5volt cells were you thinking of using.
Remember that rechargeable cells are rated at 1.2 volts, not 1.5v, so 3 would give only 3.6 volts.
You might be better off using 4 x 1.2 = 4.8 volts

Interesting.
Is it such an submersible water pump ?
Is it perhaps brushless ? Do they work well ? at 5V. Some are for 5V to 12V.
If it is really brushless ? if so, there should be electronics inside to make the phases.

Do you have a URL to the water pump in question? Please provide the URL.

hanyc93:

You CAN, but how long your batteries will last is a different matter.

600mA current draw won't provide for very long operation unless you have heavy duty batteries.

Can I power a rated DC5V 3W Water Pump using FOUR rated 1.5V batteries?

Thanks!!! How about this: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=181172.0

Please don’t start an entire new thread just to change a number. Just discuss it in this thread.

You need to provide the right voltage for the pump to run - at 5V you need to provide 5V (or thereabouts). As has already been stated, the pump has certain current requirements.

You can run the pump of a number of 1.5V, or 1.2V batteries if the sum of the voltages add up to around 5V IF the batteries are big enough to provide enough current.

You can’t expect it to work of a bunch of AAA cells, but you might expect it to run off a bunch of D cells.

Understand?

Get the voltage right, and IF THERE IS ENOUGH CURRENT AVAILABLE then the pump will work.

Please do not cross-post. This wastes time and resources as people attempt to answer your question on multiple threads.

Can I power a rated DC5V 3W Water Pump using FOUR rated 1.5V batteries?

Come on man, it's the same subject. Don't start a new thread. Next you'll be asking about FIVE batteries!

Threads merged.