Can i power an Arduino via an Apple Power Adapter?

As the Output of an iPhone Power Adapter is 5V it should work, right?

Yes, it should work. I use Android phone power adapter to that too (5V, 500mA, USB-A socket).

Only the Voltage matters right?

Yes voltage and amp matters. :grinning:

If the iPhone Power Adapter have the same standard of the USB, it will have 500mA.

Phone chargers are nominally 5v but can be more depending on the load. I would be careful.

I have tested some open circuit and measured 7v.

Weedpharma

All switching power supplies measured no-load will measure high. They require some amount of current to be in regulation.

I wouldn't call USB adapters "chargers." While they do provide a way for your phone to "charge", the "charger circuit" is built into the phone, not the USB adapter.

I would dispute the “all switching…” part. I have many in my possession that read correctly open circuit.

The device supplied with a phone is a charger with a USB socket. It’s voltage may not be 5v in all cases as it may not be regulated at the output. The phone regulates the charge to its battery and controls the current and voltage to the internal battery. The device is a charger but the regulation is done by the phone.

USB adapters are just that, adapters to put out 5v as is the standard for USB devices. This can also be used to charge the phone the same as plugging in the phone to a USB port on the computer.

Weedpharma

bestanamnetnogonsin:
As the Output of an iPhone Power Adapter is 5V it should work, right?

Yes, but one of the more important things is whether it is in fact, an Apple Power Adapter.

Apple Power Adapters are excellent for powering your projects, but many things sold as “Apple Power Adapters” are unfit for connection to the power mains and unfit for powering anything other than a light bulb - and even then only if the bulb is cheap and expendable.

This is a well documented phenomenon.

luisilva: If the iPhone Power Adapter have the same standard of the USB, it will have 500mA.

Well the Apple iPad adaptor I have can supply up to 2A at 5V. Great for using as a power supply for the Raspberry Pi as well as an Arduino. With an Arduino if you connect it with a standard USB cable there is an input resettable fuse that could go off if you draw too much current. Try not to do this.

I actually got mine at an Apple store so I have the maximum chance that it is genuin.