Can I pull 5 volts from a digital pin for a sensor

I've been searching looking for a definitive answer can I pull 5 volts safely from a digital pin for a moisture sensor or can I pull 5 volts from the ICSP pin?

5V on ICSP header, pin 2, is the same as, and connected to, 5V on the power header. Use it. Do not use an IO pin.

mrbilky:
I've been searching looking for a definitive answer can I pull 5 volts safely from a digital pin for a moisture sensor or can I pull 5 volts from the ICSP pin?

Probably the reason you can't get a definitive answer is that you haven't asked a definitive question. You've left out all the details that could possibly help to answer it.

Delta_G:
Probably the reason you can't get a definitive answer is that you haven't asked a definitive question. You've left out all the details that could possibly help to answer it.

Think I was pretty clear some people are just anal "Can I" and "From" but thanks for the advice, lots of help there!

CrossRoads:
5V on ICSP header, pin 2, is the same as, and connected to, 5V on the power header. Use it. Do not use an IO pin.

Thank you CR that's exactly what I was looking for!

mrbilky:
Think I was pretty clear some people are just anal "Can I" and "From" but thanks for the advice, lots of help there!

No you weren't clear because it depends on how much current the sensor draws. There are some you can power from a digital pin safely. There are many that you can power from the 5V pin safely. And there are some that will smoke your Arduino either way. You haven't been specific at all or given any sort of idea even which type of sensor you have. So the question can't be definitively answered yet.

I'm not being anal about "Can I" and "From". I'm trying to actually help you instead of giving you the general answer to the general question like CR did which may still potentially lead you to failure.

But instead I suggest you continue to talk smack and take your chances. That sounds like a fine plan to me.

Delta_G:
No you weren't clear because it depends on how much current the sensor draws. There are some you can power from a digital pin safely. There are many that you can power from the 5V pin safely. And there are some that will smoke your Arduino either way. You haven't been specific at all or given any sort of idea even which type of sensor you have. So the question can't be definitively answered yet.

I'm not being anal about "Can I" and "From". I'm trying to actually help you instead of giving you the general answer to the general question like CR did which may still potentially lead you to failure.

But instead I suggest you continue to talk smack and take your chances. That sounds like a fine plan to me.

The question was clear I have the data sheet for the sensor I was simply asking the question was it possible to pull 5 volts from either of those 2 pins I questioned as I could not find if it would be pulling voltage away from a specific component or if it was just another 5 volt source, knowing what type of sensor is not going to change the pins output as I specifically asked about the output not if my sensor may be harmful from an over volt situation. As far as talking smack show some respect and don't be so quick to degrde someone because the question they asked didn't meet your standards you're not the only person here able to provide assistance and it was clear from your original response.

OK bud, don't give yourself an aneurysm.

The question was clear ...

It was clear to you because you wrote it.

It was not clear to us because the concept of 'pulling voltage' is somewhat alien. Generally you power something with a voltage source and then, depending upon the characteristics of the something, it will draw (or pull) a certain amount of current from that voltage source.

In order for your question to be answered you should have stated it something like this - can I power a moisture sensor that draws xx mA from a digital pin? How about from the from the ICSP pin?

... I have the data sheet for the sensor

But we don't and we don't even know the part number if we were inclined to search for one. That is why you have to supply us with the current requirements of the sensor in order to answer your question.

... knowing what type of sensor is not going to change the pins output ...

It most certainly will. What happens to the voltage at your kitchen counter power outlet if you simultaneously run your toaster, microwave, coffee pot, refrigerator and heating element and cause the circuit breaker to open?

You might want to take a look at some of the multiple thousands of questions the two forum members that you just chewed out have previously answered and see what their attitude generally is. Just click on their forum name and then on 'show posts'.

Don

I've been searching looking for a definitive answer can I pull 5 volts safely from a digital pin for a moisture sensor

NO.

floresta:
It was clear to you because you wrote it.

It was not clear to us because the concept of 'pulling voltage' is somewhat alien. Generally you power something with a voltage source and then, depending upon the characteristics of the something, it will draw (or pull) a certain amount of current from that voltage source.

In order for your question to be answered you should have stated it something like this - can I power a moisture sensor that draws xx mA from a digital pin? How about from the from the ICSP pin?
But we don't and we don't even know the part number if we were inclined to search for one. That is why you have to supply us with the current requirements of the sensor in order to answer your question.
It most certainly will. What happens to the voltage at your kitchen counter power outlet if you simultaneously run your toaster, microwave, coffee pot, refrigerator and heating element and cause the circuit breaker to open?

You might want to take a look at some of the multiple thousands of questions the two forum members that you just chewed out have previously answered and see what their attitude generally is. Just click on their forum name and then on 'show posts'.

Don

Your failure to read my response clearly shows who is looking for a chance to be a keyboard commando I clearly see how many posts individuals have and I'm not sure where you got 2 people chewed out but that's just it so quick to condemn and again I was not asking anyone to do the math or right my code for me I'm am quite capable of that I was simply asking a question and some people feel the need to be sarcastic because I didn't provide what they wanted to hear still not sure why the question "can I pull 5 volts from" is so difficult to answer for some if it posed a risk then just add that or request more info instead of posting a curt response, time to move on fellas apparently nothing to see here!

mrbilky:
Your failure to read my response clearly shows who is looking for a chance to be a keyboard commando I clearly see how many posts individuals have and I'm not sure where you got 2 people chewed out but that's just it so quick to condemn and again I was not asking anyone to do the math or right my code for me I'm am quite capable of that I was simply asking a question and some people feel the need to be sarcastic because I didn't provide what they wanted to hear still not sure why the question "can I pull 5 volts from" is so difficult to answer for some if it posed a risk then just add that or request more info instead of posting a curt response, time to move on fellas apparently nothing to see here!

Hey man, calm down. I asked for a clarification. Nobody has put you down, caused you pain, or otherwise tried to hurt you in any way. You said you couldn't get a definitive answer and I elucidated that you would need more information to get an answer that was definitive. That's all that happened kid. Relax yourself. This isn't a war you need to win. Just chill out a little.

I'm really sorry that someone asking for that fairly critical piece of information seems to have upset you so much. I really don't understand why though.

Your simple question was "Can i pull 5V from a pin for a sensor". The simple answer is, "Maybe depending on the amount of current." That's not definitive though and I thought you said you wanted a definitive answer. Now which is it? You were looking for a general answer as to whether a digital pin put out 5 V? Or a definitive answer like you said in the OP about whether you could use that 5V for some as-of-yet-unnamed sensor?

Look there seems to be a disconnect my original post was a simple question to verify if it was possible to get 5 volts from the aforementioned pins I asked about that's all I didn't need nor did I ask for you or anyone else to explain the science behind it just if it was possible as the pinout for my board (uno R3) showed the additional 5 volt pin from ICSP. I also thought in my original post the yet unnamed sensor

5 volts safely from a digital pin for a moisture sensor or can I pull 5 volts from the ICSP pin?

Was enough again as I was not asking if my said sensor would work that is why they have data sheets for people like me who do not have years of experience, it's all good as you now know that all I was looking for was a "simple answer"

SO why are you so upset about also getting more answer than you asked for? I'm still trying to figure out why that hurt you so much? I mean you're about to give yourself an ulcer becasue someone said it depends on the current. Which from the very short text of your OP wasn't something that it was clear you understood. I'll remember in the future to be as vague as possible with any other answers I give you. Would that help?

Or maybe it would help if instead of assuming that all that stuff is clear, you mentioned it in your post instead of just dashing off one quick sentence and then getting your panties all in a wad when someone has the audacity to ask a question about it.

mrbilky:

Yes. 8)