Can I run the 328 chip without the ardunio board?

Boy do i feel silly, but I assumed that I could write and download code to the 328 chip on the arduino, then put the chip on a breadboard, apply power, and the thing would run. But since a simple blink LED program does nothing, I fear that I have misunderstood the entire arduino concept, i.e., the arduino is not a development board, it must be used at run time as well. So to get a 328 to run standalone, i guess I need to find some other dev. environment?

Thanks for any advice.

As far as I know it should run, but you will have to recreate the same "environment".

Have you got a crystal and decoupling caps? I think that's all that should be needed.

All works fine in the arduino board. I can see from your replies that I don't have the support stuff in place (caps, crystals,etc.). That's no problem to do, but I'll need to know where a list is of what I need to do. If this is non-trivial to define, let me know and I will go bury myself in the datasheet (500 pages i think, haha).

Btw, I will be needing to use the ADC and PWM outputs, so if I need additional support components for those operations, I would appreciate any advice on that as well.

Thanks so much for your help, Phil

Also - lookup "standalone arduino"; your question is a very, very, very common one...

:)

I will be needing to use the ADC and PWM outputs, so if I need additional support components for those operations, I would appreciate any advice on that as well.

In general no special handling of any IO is required it you're just dicking around on a breadboard.

Inputs like ADCs will need the voltage reduced if > 5v.

Outputs will need buffering (say with a transistor) if driving something too heavy for the 328, ie > 20mA.

Yep, it looks rather simple, thanks for all your help. And cr0sh, it is always my fear that when i post something, it will have already been beat to death. I searched pages of posts in the hardware section and did not find anything. but, i was just not using good search terms. dang!

now back to the real work, making that pwm ouput look like something useful.
It escapes me why uP companies don’t put a decent Analog output on their chips.

It escapes me why uP companies don’t put a decent Analog output on their chips.

Yeah, there must be a good reason, the Xmega chips have a DAC but that’s the only one I can think of off hand.

It escapes me why uP companies don't put a decent Analog output on their chips.

Perhaps it is because uPs are digital devices. I haven't seen too many analog ICs that have decent digital outputs for a similar reason.

Don

It escapes me why uP companies don't put a decent Analog output on their chips.

Several chip companies make 8 pin DIP single and dual channel DAC which can interface easily with an Arduino using I2C or SPI interfacing.

While the AVR processors do come with quite a suit of I/O stuff there are always external support chips that can come in real handy. I really like the 8 pin DIP I2C chips and have wanted to utilize real time clock, external EEPROM, and ADC and DAC chips. So far I've only used the first two so far.

Lefty