Can I use 74AHC125 as shift register to control LED bar graph?

I realize this is probably really dumb question, but I’m just getting started with shift registers. It happens that I have 100+ of 74AHC125 chips which I use for shifting logic levels (from 5V to 3.3V). Can these ICs also be used as shift register (i.e. serial to parallel) to control LED array (i.e. bar graph) by using just 2 digital pins from Arduino?

Yes.

If you've got 100+ of them you can build them into flip-flops and construct a few shift registers.

A proper shift register chip will be much smaller though.

fungus: Yes.

If you've got 100+ of them you can build them into flip-flops and construct a few shift registers.

Haha, ok so I'll take is a "no" :) I meant to ask if I can use single 74AHC125 for the purpose... Thanks.

74AHC125 is not a shift register, it is only a tri-state output (has an output enable) driver.

fungus: Yes.

Go on then, show us how to construct arbitrary logic from only non-inverting buffers....

(OK yes it can be done in obscure ways using the inverting enables and pull-up resistors, but that's pretty sick really)

In other words the boring, practical answer is "no, its not a shift register".

Can likely get there with a lot of parts.
Here is a start:

MarkT: (OK yes it can be done in obscure ways using the inverting enables and pull-up resistors, but that's pretty sick really)

I never said it wouldn't be challenging... :)

Why don't you use a shift register?

mirith: Why don't you use a shift register?

Because he has 100+ completely unrelated chips that he has to use up first.