Can I use an Arduino as a multiple OS bootable usb?

Hello, Im pretty new to Arduino but was thinking if it would be possible to create a multiple OS bootable Arduino.

Basically I could plug it into a PC the select the operating system on the Arduino and have the PC boot to it just like any normal bootable usb. I'd have a micro SD card for storage and so I can add new OSs.

Could this be possible by having the Arduino return just the files in a certain directory? For example I could have several folders on the SD card, but it would only return the 1 folder with the boot files for the OS selected.

If it's not possible with an Arduino, are there other boards that could do it? If this is the wrong place for the question I apologise.

Some Arduinos can be used as HID devices to emulate keystrokes and select an OS on the originating device.

But as for being able to actually hold an OS on storage that would be an almost impossible task.

Certainly not a task for a new user.

ballscrewbob:
Some Arduinos can be used as HID devices to emulate keystrokes and select an OS on the originating device.

But as for being able to actually hold an OS on storage that would be an almost impossible task.

Certainly not a task for a new user.

Thanks, I guess it was as I feared.

Configure yourself a couple of bootable USB sticks and select the OS of your choice by plugging.

Whandall:
Configure yourself a couple of bootable USB sticks and select the OS of your choice by plugging.

That's what I have now and it works great, just thought creating something like this would be a lot cooler than having several usb keys. Would have been a fun project.

It also seems like I could just use a normal usb key to do virtually the same thing (How to Install Multiple Bootable Operating Systems on a USB Stick)

FutureLights:
It also seems like I could just use a normal USB key to do virtually the same thing (How to Install Multiple Bootable Operating Systems on a USB Stick)

Obviously! :roll_eyes:

It just needs to boot GRUB.

+1 for GRUB.

It'll do the job and supports many different OSes. Just about anything, really, that can be run from USB stick directly (which probably excludes Windows & Mac OS for starters). Most Linux distributions do qualify.

You can also add the option to boot from the computer's hard drive, by the way.