Can I use an Arduino to replace a controller I use with my stepper motors?

So I am running a pump business and I am always buying multiple controllers from the internet to see which one is the best one for my motor. I want to keep my motor cool and running efficiently with a controller that will stay cool as well. I want to know if I can use an Arduino board and customize it to replace buying many different controllers and trying to find the best fit. This would save me money and be greatly valuable to me if I knew the answer. I tried researching and maybe I researched the wrong stuff but I need to know if this is possible. I appreciate any help or information you provide!

Thanks,

Brad

For informed help, please post links to data sheets or product pages of the motor, motor driver and power supply.

Here are products that I sell with their data sheets. One is an example of a stepper motor pump and the other is a stepper motor controller. Hopefully this will help.

data sheet pmst310 pmstx310.pdf (587 KB)

data sheet smcxa controllers.pdf (783 KB)

You cannot use Arduino alone to drive a motor excep for very small motors. But if you know how motors are controled and provide additional hardware such as transistors to handle power things Arduino should be able to do what you want. I think the controller you linked is example of such external hardware needed. You may build it from discrete parts but I think it will be hard for you to match such product in efficiency and/or space not even mentioning cost. But I know little about motors - it is possible there is no cheap suitable controller for your application.

There is not much information in the data sheets and the controller appears to be self contained, with very limited capabilities.

Are you using the linked controller with the linked pump? If so, that controller may not be compatible with Arduino, as the inputs may require 10V to activate. It would be possible to replace it completely with an Arduino and another type of stepper motor driver.

What is it that you are actually trying to achieve? Please spell out your requirements as clearly as possible.

You could use an Arduino in combination with a suitable (powerful) stepper driver to replace the existing controller. As others said already: the Arduino is not capable to deliver the required current directly for the bipolar stepper motor.
But:
If you go with a stepper driver which can handle the motor current requirements (3.5Amps?), you may use the Arduino (could be an Uno, or, if space matters, a Nano, Pro Mini, Micro) to control:

• speed
  • run and stop (manual)
  • maybe timer operation
  • maybe sensor based operation

An example for a suitable stepper driver would be:
http://www.omc-stepperonline.com/bipolar-stepper-motor-driver-max-4a-current-40vdc-input-16-subdivision-st6600-p-246.html or
http://www.omc-stepperonline.com/24-phase-nema-23-stepper-motor-driver-2450vdc-15a45a-256-microstep-m542t-p-293.html

You will find a price range of 10 U$ - several hundred U$ - all depends on your requirements and the kind of quality (reliability, life time, robustness etc.) you are looking for.

rpt007:
You could use an Arduino in combination with a suitable (powerful) stepper driver to replace the existing controller. As others said already: the Arduino is not capable to deliver the required current directly for the bipolar stepper motor.
But:
If you go with a stepper driver which can handle the motor current requirements (3.5Amps?), you may use the Arduino (could be an Uno, or, if space matters, a Nano, Pro Mini, Micro) to control:

• speed
  • run and stop (manual)
  • maybe timer operation
  • maybe sensor based operation

I don't run business, I am just an associate. I created this post for my employer. I don't know much about the specifications that you guys need and i am going to try and find out. We sell a variety of pumps with motors that are 6V up to 24V with a varitey of amps around 2 and above. Below is a link to a controller we recently purchased and connected it to a brushless motor that keeps it cool and runs effiectently. We have bought many different controllers like these before we found this one. We're looking to use the Arduino to control the pump like this controller but we want to be able to use the Arduino to customize it for each different motor we provide on our pumps. I am sorry I don't have much of what you guys need but this is the most I know so far. I'm going to try and get you guys more information.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181711010741?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

jremington:
There is not much information in the data sheets and the controller appears to be self contained, with very limited capabilities.

Are you using the linked controller with the linked pump? If so, that controller may not be compatible with Arduino, as the inputs may require 10V to activate. It would be possible to replace it completely with an Arduino and another type of stepper motor driver.

What is it that you are actually trying to achieve? Please spell out your requirements as clearly as possible.

I don't run business, I am just an associate. I created this post for my employer. I don't know much about the specifications that you guys need and i am going to try and find out. We sell a variety of pumps with motors that are 6V up to 24V with a varitey of amps around 2 and above. Below is a link to a controller we recently purchased and connected it to a brushless motor that keeps it cool and runs effiectently. We have bought many different controllers like these before we found this one. We're looking to use the Arduino to control the pump like this controller but we want to be able to use the Arduino to customize it for each different motor we provide on our pumps. I am sorry I don't have much of what you guys need but this is the most I know so far. I'm going to try and get you guys more information.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181711010741?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

What does your employer do now when a pump fails? Just toss the old one in the garbage an give the customer a new one? Or does he try to return the failed pump to the distributor he bought it from? With your plan, he will just have to eat the cost of the replacement pump. How long can he do that?

Paul