Can I use Arduino to do this?

I have a product that I need to prototype and I'm wondering if I can do the prototyping myself using Arduino (rather than spending ~$10k to have someone else do it). I am new to circuit design, but have a PhD in physics so I figure I can learn it.

My product needs to read the output of a hall sensor, then do a calculation based on this sensor output that determines a driving frequency, then send a clean (<1% THD) sine wave at that frequency to a class D mono amplifier.

Can I do this, assuming I can teach myself the details?

Thanks,
HDD

I'll do it for you for 5K :wink:

You will need external hardware to produce the sin wave output, what frequency is it to be?

Sorry, forgot to mention the frequency is pretty low, between 10 and 200 Hz.

With such low frequencies, you might be able to get away with doing this with only the Arduino (use all the digital pins and feed them into a good DAC - output of DAC to amp); the only issue might be the THD level you are looking for. Hooking the Hall sensor is simple (just plugs into an analog input); the rest is code (which will be the hard part, no matter what you do). If you can find a better form of the sine wave output (maybe a VCO controlled by the arduino via PWM), then go that route. The rest is code.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure what "maybe a VCO controlled by the arduino via PWM" implies as far as complexity and learning curve. Can you elaborate?

Thanks!

HDD

(VCO) Voltage Controlled Oscillator sine wave generator

Application Note 263 Sine Wave Generation Techniques