Can I use Arduino to reverse polarity on DC motors?

I want to build an oscillating rig to pass a cutter over a stationary wood board. I want to use DC wheelchair motors and have some travel limit that would be the indication to the controller (Arduino?) to reverse the polarity and thus change direction of the sled. I envision having two limit contacts (cannot be optical as flying chips could prematurely trigger the change in direction) that would then be manually located to set the distance of travel.

Can I use Arduino to control this? Can it somehow activate a polarity switch from a power source to make the motor change rotation?

I personally don't know how do that myself but I think from research I've been doing that it is possible as long as the motor is able to move both ways. I just clipped the power cables in reverse to check! (heathen I know!)

This might be the best option for triggering the reverse, it's just a case of getting it wired and written into the code then

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/miniature-microswitch-with-lever-n96aq

@justjay

I personally don't know

Then at least make the effort to look it up before replying.

As for the op, yes you get directional control by using a h-bridge. They can be found in the the form of motor control shields or motor controllers

Mark

holmes4:
@justjay Then at least make the effort to look it up before replying.

Mark

With all due respect Mark, I am a complete noob when it comes to this and don’t want to sit here asking questions and not offering anything whatsoever, no matter how small or seemingly useless it may be! Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to just look it up before replying either.

Sorry to the op the brief unrelated comment. Hope you get it sorted, if i can find the information I read about it on, I’ll post up.

Would I be able to program an H-Bridge to use alternating mosfet transistors?

Also, any suggestions on contacts?

IvanJr: Would I be able to program an H-Bridge to use alternating mosfet transistors?

How much current do your motors take? What voltage do they need? Motor shields work at up to about 25 Volts and at up to 1.5 Amps. There are heftier H-Bridges that work on even higher power motors. Why do you need mosfets in addition to an H-Bridge?

They are 24V DC wheelchair motors, I don’t know how much they could draw as I haven’t assembled the rig to see how much effort they are required to exert to move everything.

I am completely new to motor controls and Arduino, so if I can use a Mosfet and avoid H-Bridge or vice versa then please let me know which way is less expensive.