can i use this motor with an arduino (how much mA does it pull?)

i want to use this motor with my arduino, just want to make sure its not to powerful before i attach it.
it came from a tiny handheld fan, powered by batteries if that helps.

Use a transistor to be on the safe side.

thanks! im using a diagram from adafruit that has a transistor in it so i will definetely do that:)

That motor is way too big to contemplate directly powering from an Arduino pin. Almost no motors are
that small.

And you can't power directly anyway without adding schottky free-wheel diodes to both supply rails.

You might get away with a 2N2222 and 150 ohm base resistor, but it could be right on the limit
regarding stall current. Don't forget a free-wheel diode across the motor.

Which diagram do you mean?

You need to get a multi-meter…

MarkT:
That motor is way too big to contemplate directly powering from an Arduino pin. Almost no motors are
that small.

And you can't power directly anyway without adding schottky free-wheel diodes to both supply rails.

You might get away with a 2N2222 and 150 ohm base resistor, but it could be right on the limit
regarding stall current. Don't forget a free-wheel diode across the motor.

Which diagram do you mean?

right now im using this diagram, which calls for a resistor and a diode

in the diagram it says that you have to be careful about what kind of motor to use thats why i'm asking.

wilfredmedlin:
You need to get a multi-meter....

yeah i think i do, complete beginner here, i started playing around with arduino a few days ago, im still getting together my "essentials for electonics" kit.

gdjidje:
, im still getting together my "essentials for electonics" kit.

Don't know where you are but both adafruit and sparkfun have a couple of different ones. You don't need anything too fancy.

If you're in USA Harbor Freight have them free on coupons, and they're only 5USD anyway. Cheap enough to trash when it breaks.

right now im using this diagram, which calls for a resistor and a diode
https://cdn-learn.adafruit.com/downloads/pdf/adafruit-arduino-lesson-13-dc-motors.pdf

in the diagram it says that you have to be careful about what kind of motor to use thats why i'm asking.

Sure the resistor and diode are required, but more essential is the PN2222 Transistor

You already heard that an Arduino signal pin is too weak for about any motor.
But this PN2222 is not much stronger. Search for a datasheet of it, and see an absolute maximum of
Ic = 500 mA. This is about ten times more than an Arduino pin (20 .. max. 40 mA), but not too much for a blocked motor.

Eventually, you want to use a 12V motor with an extra 12V power source,
but that's probably step2 of your motor experiments.

allright, I "borrowed" my fathers multimeter, it looks like the motor pulls about 180 mA so i should be able to make it work using the diagram i found.

thanks for the advice everyone:)

gdjidje:
allright, I "borrowed" my fathers multimeter,

Before you put it back, or perhaps liberate it again, you should measure the resistance across the connections. Then divide that into the voltage, and the result (i=v/r) is the stall or starting current, which is the value you need to be able to cope with.