Can not transfer data from arduino robot to laptop

I want to transfer the compass data from arduino robot to laptop, however, I find that if I connect the robot to laptop through USB cable, robot will not move :’( :’( :’( , therefore how can I transfer the data? :fearful: :fearful:

Don’t know. The program might help us to tell.

Some idea of the hardware and how it is connected might be useful too.

You have, of course, read Read this before posting a programming question

The Arduino Robot boards have hardware to disable the motors if power is coming from the USB cable. There are solder jumpers to disable that feature. It might also be possible to cut the red wire in a USB cable to convince the robot that it is not being powered via USB.

cut the red wire

Don’t do that or the bomb will go off, or do I mean the green wire :slight_smile:

johnwasser:
The Arduino Robot boards have hardware to disable the motors if power is coming from the USB cable. There are solder jumpers to disable that feature. It might also be possible to cut the red wire in a USB cable to convince the robot that it is not being powered via USB.

Thank you john, so how can I disable that feature? Or do you know where is the output pin(TX/RX pin) of the arduino robot so that I can use bluetooth or Xbee instead of the USB cable. :grinning: :grinning:

You want to put a blob of solder on solder jumpers SJ1 and SJ2. I could not find any picture of the board on the Internet with enough resolution to find the jumpers. They should be near a 14-pin 74HCT123D Quad Schmidt-trigger NAND gate chip (IC7) and be connected to pin 9 and pin 13 of that chip. If you can find the chip you can follow the traces.

johnwasser:
You want to put a blob of solder on solder jumpers SJ1 and SJ2. I could not find any picture of the board on the Internet with enough resolution to find the jumpers. They should be near a 14-pin 74HCT123D Quad Schmidt-trigger NAND gate chip (IC7) and be connected to pin 9 and pin 13 of that chip. If you can find the chip you can follow the traces.

John, I cannot find the chip and jumper as you said, could please have a look on this page and figure where is the pin?

Or do you know how can I combine the robot with the bluetooth?

assassin:
could please have a look on this page and figure where is the pin?

What page? The official pictures of the Arduino Robot Motor board are not clear enough to locate the solder jumpers. Have you got high-resolution, well focused images of both sides of the board? If so I might be able to find the jumper locations for you.

Hi john, before that, I uploaded a testing code for the compass:

#include <ArduinoRobot.h>
void setup(){
Robot.begin();
Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop(){
Serial.println(Robot.compassRead());
delay(100);
}

however, I find that when I open the serial monitor, nothing shows on the screen, is this code correct? Why I cannot get the compass data :’( :’( :’( :’( :’(

Why I cannot get the compass data

What does Robot.compassRead() return?

PaulS:
What does Robot.compassRead() return?

It should return the robot heading degree, but it returns nothing when I open the serial monitor :cry:

It should return the robot heading degree

As a float? A long? A hairy water buffalo?

assassin:
Hi john, before that, I uploaded a testing code for the compass:

#include <ArduinoRobot.h>

void setup(){
 Robot.begin();
 Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop(){
 Serial.println(Robot.compassRead());
 delay(100);
}

however, I find that when I open the serial monitor, nothing shows on the screen, is this code correct? Why I cannot get the compass data :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

That’s the code from the compassRead documentation. Have you got Serial Monitor set for 9600 baud?

johnwasser:
That's the code from the compassRead documentation. Have you got Serial Monitor set for 9600 baud?

Definitely, I've tried 9600 and 115200, I'm afraid that Serial.println() is unavailable for arduino robot. :cry: