can not upload ?bad board? back up board works?

we have 4 engineers building a prototype with genuine Arduino nano 33 BLE boards. We seem to run into issues where we can not upload our sketches. 1/2 of the engineers are working on windows 1/2 on mac Catalina

yesterday something happened and my test board could no longer be recognized on my mac. The green LED is on and the orange is blinking.

As a test, I plugged in a backup board. an upload “blink” without any problems.

When I first ran into this problem I tried resetting the board no luck. I read something that said tap the reset button twice. still no luck.

The board has only ever been powered using the usb connection.

Is this a firmware/boot issue? or is the board just junk at this point?

Kind regards

Andy

aedwip:
or is the board just junk at this point?

This is not impossible but unlikely. If you just connect it to USB and use the right device in the IDE its not easy to break the board without you knowing you did something that could harm the board.

aedwip:
I read something that said tap the reset button twice. still no luck.

The Arduino Nano 33 BLE and IoT have two modes. When you push the reset button once it starts in the normal mode and when you push it twice it starts in a mode for programming. On Windows PC you will see that each mode uses a different COM port number. I am not sure how that looks like on a MAC. You should be able to randomly switch to one of the two modes just pushing the reset button.

aedwip:
The green LED is on and the orange is blinking.

There is a recognizable pattern displayed on the LED when mbedOS crashes. Its a little bit like a SOS. This could affect USB and you should get the Arduino into programming mode. Your sketch could create this condition and a normal reset might just make the sketch run into this again and again.

What happens when you connect the “broken” Arduino into a Windows PC or another MAC?

aedwip:
Can you tell me more about "how to get my board back into programming mode" ?

To get into programming mode you need to push the button twice fast like a mouse double click.
Then the green LED will be ON and the orange LED will slowly fade OFF and then ON a bit faster at a two second interval.

aedwip:
I do not know why but it seems to be working now.

:slight_smile: