Can Program Bootloader But Not Sketch....

Still trying to get a batch of Nanos working, using a USBTinyISP. I have no problem programming the bootloader, and the sketch compiles without error, but I always get a "Board not available" error when I try to download the sketch. If I edit the preferences file to specify a COM port, then the error I get is "Board at COMn port is not available". If I specify USBTinyISP, why is it even looking for a COM port??

I've never had a problem programming ProMinis with this USBTiny. Is there some setting I have wrong?

Regards, Ray L.

When you try to upload a sketch using the USBTinyISP programmer are you selecting File->Upload Using Programmer or are you just clicking on the upload button? You have to use File->Upload Using Programmer or it will try to use the bootloader through the USB serial port selected under Tools->Serial Port..

johnwasser: When you try to upload a sketch using the USBTinyISP programmer are you selecting File->Upload Using Programmer or are you just clicking on the upload button? You have to use File->Upload Using Programmer or it will try to use the bootloader through the USB serial port selected under Tools->Serial Port..

Tried both ways, and get the same result either way. Even went in and hand-edited the preferences file to indicate "program.using=Arduino:USBTinyISP", and still get the "Board at COMx not found". I would just use the serial programmer, but these !@#$%^ boards use a Prolific serial chip that does not work under Win8.

When I program the bootloader using the USBTinyISP, it seems to program and verify without error, so I have to believe the USBTinyISP and driver are fine, as is the SPI interface to the MCU. So why doesn't sketch programming work?

Regards, Ray L.

I would start by re-installing the Arduino IDE just in case one of your changes to the core files is causing the problem.

The steps should be: Connect the USBtinyISP to the PC and board. Open the sketch you want to upload Select your board type under Tools->Boards Select "USBtinyISP" under Tools->Programmer Select File->Upload Using Programmer

And this post points to a Prolific driver that might allow you to upload using the bootloader:

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=101052.msg1845513#msg1845513

John,

I'll try re-installing, and let you know what happens.

The thread you linked to is for IOS.... My problem with the Prolific is the chips on these boards are apparently very old and no longer supported, and/or counterfeit. Gotta love China..... not...

Regards, Ray L.

Just installed v1.5.8, and things are looking much better - programming the sketch is now successful.... EXCEPT, the sketch appears not to run properly. The bootloader is clearly getting over-written, as the LED no longer blinks on reset. But a simply Blink sketch does not blink the LED.

Is there some code change required to make the sketch work in this configuration, where it's over-writing the bootloader?

Regards, Ray L.

Woo Hoo! It's working! Had to edit the upload.using in preferences.txt, and all is now working.

I wonder if there was a bug in v1.5.6r2? The only change I made to it was the same upload.using edit, but it never would work with these boards. With 1.5.8, it works perfectly.

Thanks John!

Regards, Ray L.