Can someone recommend an arduino uno model with built in Ethernet? if that exist

Can someone recommend an arduino uno model with built in Ethernet? if that exist. Thanks

I'm building a rfid controlled access gate with an arduino uno and 2 rc522 rfid card readers. I have it running now as a stand alone system but would like to have it communicate with a server via Ethernet when I can learn how to send and receive data via Ethernet. So i'm wanting to buy a board with the capability.

thanks

Freetronics Etherten my first Arduino.

why not Ethernet shield or module?

Juraj:
why not Ethernet shield or module?
https://www.wiznet.io/product-item/wiz850io/

Seeeduino Ethernet | Seeed Studio Wiki

because i lack the understanding of how I can use a shield if i'm already using those pins for something else. I'm using almost all of the digital pins right now for the rfid readers and sensors

Then your first priority is to acquire the understanding you need, which includes an understanding of what Arduinos are about. Nearly every pin on an Ethernet shield is either unconnected pass-through or sharable. What this means is that, if you are really short of pins, an Etherten will not save you.

birddseedd:
because i lack the understanding of how I can use a shield if i'm already using those pins for something else. I'm using almost all of the digital pins right now for the rfid readers and sensors

And you would not have forgotten that the UNO has eighteen digital pins available in total, not including of course, pins 0 and 1 which are always reserved for its serial and programming interface. :grinning:

Paul__B:
And you would not have forgotten that the UNO has eighteen digital pins available in total, not including of course, pins 0 and 1 which are always reserved for its serial and programming interface. :grinning:

so i can not use 0 and 1?

on board, on shield or as module the SPI chips always use SPI: 3 pins and one CS pin (11, 12, 13 on Uno and pin 10 for CS). if you need more pins, use a Mega with Ethernet shield or module

Juraj:
on board, on shield or as module the SPI chips always use SPI: 3 pins and one CS pin (11, 12, 13 on Uno and pin 10 for CS). if you need more pins, use a Mega with Ethernet shield or module

i see. so getting one onboard still uses the pins, so won't help me none.

The pins i'm using now are:

13, 12, 11, 10, 5 for the rfid card.
4 led, Kinda need another led tho.
3 lower gate signal
2 gate sensors (to see if it bumps into something)
8 raise gate signal

I can change the led and gate pins if need be.

so i need to find a shield that doesn't use those pins or a mega and a shield that doesn't use the rfid pins.

Quick question about spi. I was told that with 2 rfid readers it will disable one at a time. If its doing this with the ethernet shield, how does it maintain a connection?

thanks

birddseedd:
i see. so getting one onboard still uses the pins, so won't help me none.

The pins i'm using now are:

13, 12, 11, 10, 5 for the rfid card.
4 led, Kinda need another led tho.
3 lower gate signal
2 gate sensors (to see if it bumps into something)
8 raise gate signal

I can change the led and gate pins if need be.

so i need to find a shield that doesn't use those pins or a mega and a shield that doesn't use the rfid pins.

Quick question about spi. I was told that with 2 rfid readers it will disable one at a time. If its doing this with the ethernet shield, how does it maintain a connection?

thanks

you can use A pins as digital pins too. analog conversion is only an additional function of this pins.

SPI is a bus. you can connect more devices. every device has then a slave select pin. the libraries handle the switching. the Ethernet shield has pin 10 as SS for Ethernet and pin 4 as SS for SD card if it is used. if you would use an Ethernet module, you can use any free pins as SS.

Juraj:
you can use A pins as digital pins too. analog conversion is only an additional function of this pins.

SPI is a bus. you can connect more devices. every device has then a slave select pin. the libraries handle the switching. the Ethernet shield has pin 10 as SS for Ethernet and pin 4 as SS for SD card if it is used. if you would use an Ethernet module, you can use any free pins as SS.

thank you for your help. i'm trying to find one that will work with spi and my rfid reader. doesn't seem like many of them actually tell you what pins they use. .the one in the link uses 10,11,12 and 13 with 5 as the sd card. but it says 10 is for the select? that's the spi which allows multiple devices? I believe that my rfid reader uses the same pin for SS. The code for the ethernet shied does not have a SS variable but my rfid reader does.

#define SS_PIN 10  //slave select pin
#define RST_PIN 9  //reset pin
#define SS_PIN1 0  //slave select pin
#define RST_PIN1 1  //reset pin

so does this mean it will work, i just need to change my SS_PIN for the rfid cards to an open pin and move the wire?

thanks

ethernet sheld

You already have two RFID readers on the SPI bus. Adding a third SPI device should not be too complicated with the instructions in one of your other threads. You might have to move your current CS pins because a shield or board with built-in eithernet might use exactly the one(s) that you're currently using for the RFID readers.

Can you provide the list of pins that you're currently using and their function.

When you want to debug your stuff using Serial (and I'm sure you will have a need for that when starting with the ethernet), you can't use pins 0 and 1 for anything.

You are aware that you can use analog pinsfor digital as well?

And if you're really low on pins, consider a bigger board like a Mega. Or add port expanders or shift registers; MCP23S17 comes to mind (also using SPI so will cost you only one additional pin).

sterretje:
Can you provide the list of pins that you're currently using and their function.

When you want to debug your stuff using Serial (and I'm sure you will have a need for that when starting with the ethernet), you can't use pins 0 and 1 for anything.

You are aware that you can use analog pinsfor digital as well?

And if you're really low on pins, consider a bigger board like a Mega. Or add port expanders or shift registers; MCP23S17 comes to mind (also using SPI so will cost you only one additional pin).

i was sure i could use the analog pins but needed to google ti to see if i had to do anything special.

so, i can use pin 0 and 1 if i'm not using serial?

My rfid cards are using pins:

5 (for rfid reset pin, i may have a conflict here)and(sd card on ethernet sheld)
6 (SS pin for 2nd rfid card reader)
7 (reset pin for 2nd card reader)
9 (my code says this is the reset pin, but im not using it, so i'm confused)
10(ss pin for card reader 1, I will need to change this to use the shield) and (SS pin for ethernet shield)
11(card reader)and(ethernet shield)
12(card reader)and(ethernet shield)
13(card reader)and(ethernet shield)

8(relay signal)
3(relay signal)

2(signal from gate sensors)

4(led)
A0(led)

A 74HC595 will drive 8 LEDs or 8 relay module control signals. If you want to drive the relays themselves, a TPIC6B595 will do that, and the same three pins will drive any reasonable number (say, up to 8 ) of these devices in a chain.

A MAX7219 will drive 64 LEDs or a matrix or an 8-digit 7-segment display - as long as they are only indicator LEDs. Again, three pins for a reasonable multiple of such devices.

The first six "Analog" pins simply are digital pins 14 to 19. They happen to have alternate optional function such as analog inputs, however A4 and A5 are the I2C interface if you require that. Thus 18 digital pins excluding Pins 0 and 1 which you really do not want to use.

some notes:
SD SS on Ethernet shield is 4 not 5
pins 0 and 1 are used to upload sketch over USB. don't use them as digital pins

Ok, i just want to run by you guys before making a decision. This is the one i'm looking at

Arduino on amazon
and the wiki for it is if i'm right
wiki for arduino

Same brand as what i have now, and the rfid card. uses w5500 chip. It would appear from the code in the wiki that it uses pin 10 for the SS. Which is what my RFid seems to use (rc522). so, all I have to do is move the wire to an open pin and change the variable so each uses a separate SS pin?

and just to be sure I understand, if i'm using this board with the built in ethernet, I can not use pin 10 for anything? because that's the ethernet SS pin?

thanks, just want to be sure i'm understanding correctly.

it doesn't have USB, you would need an external adapter (with DTR).

you will not be able to use Ethernet and SD in the same sketch. a sketch with the Ethernet library and SD library doesn't fit into memories of Uno

Juraj:
it doesn't have USB, you would need an external adapter (with DTR).

you will not be able to use Ethernet and SD in the same sketch. a sketch with the Ethernet library and SD library doesn't fit into memories of Uno

It has a micro usb jack. doesn't that get used the same way?

I'm confused why I wouldn't be able to use the SD card with Ethernet. what do you mean by "memories of uno"? Ethernet shields seem to all advertise having an sd slot for saving data from the web. I won't need to do that in this project tho.

birddseedd:
It has a micro usb jack. doesn't that get used the same way?

sorry I didn't see it on phone. original Arduino Ethernet doesn't have it

birddseedd:
I'm confused why I wouldn't be able to use the SD card with Ethernet. what do you mean by "memories of uno"? Ethernet shields seem to all advertise having an sd slot for saving data from the web. I won't need to do that in this project tho.

a sketch with both libraries:
Sketch uses 31166 bytes (96%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.
Global variables use 2008 bytes (98%) of dynamic memory, leaving 40 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.