can the Arduino motorshieldR3 be stacked to double its current capacity?

Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to drive two linear actuators with an Arduino motorshieldR3 connected to the Mega 2560. I'd assumed I wouldn't need more than 2A per actuator which I know the motorshield is capable of per channel. However, when I hooked everything up it requires just about 2A to get one actuator moving and that's not taking into account any startup transients that might occur. It was recommended to me that I try to use the full current capability of both channels (4A) per motor, thus requiring two motorshields.

Could anyone advise me as to whether the motorshield's channels could be combined into one 4A driver/channel, and whether two motorshields with their outputs paralleled in this way could be stacked?

Any ideas at all are greatly appreciated! Tony

The L298 datasheet says you can parallel the outputs, but you must parallel channel 1 with 4, and 2 with 3. Unfortunately, the motorshield R3 looks to have been wired up the wrong way to do this, because it uses channels 1 & 3 for one motor, and 2 & 4 (instead of 4 & 2) for the other.

You might like to consider using this motor driver http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1213 instead. Not only can it handle 5A peak and 3A continuous, it also has mosfet outputs instead of darlingtons, so it will have a much lower voltage drop, run cooler, and be less likely to overheat. Altogether a much better device IMO.

The OP is talking about paralleling the whole motorshield with itself, thats channel 1 with channel 1 on the other shield, etc...

MarkT: The OP is talking about paralleling the whole motorshield with itself, thats channel 1 with channel 1 on the other shield, etc...

That's not how I read it.