Can the Boot Loader Section be Read From an Application?

First, I don’t take credit for this, the algorithm is based upon Snial's brilliant “Bootjacker” hack documented on his blog.

I’m trying to read the BLS from an application, which the lock bits prevent. The normal arduino lock bits prevent SPM writes to the BLS, and bar application section LPMs from reading the BLS. Yet, there is nothing preventing an LPM from inside the BLS reading the BLS. Am I wrong here?

To understand what I did, probably requires you to read Snial’s blog first. The program executes an LPM instruction inside the BLS using Snial’s potentially catastrophic technique of devious stack manipulation combined with precise timing of an interrupt to cleverly redirect execution.

The code below works when the lock bits are disabled. However, if the lock bits are not set, this hack wouldn’t be required. With the lock bits set in the normal arduino manner the code doesn’t work.

//arduino 168 memory locations
#define kTCCR0B   0x25    //these defines required for inline assembly
#define kTCNT0    0x26
#define kTIFR0    0x15
#define T0_CYCLES 22
#define BLS_START 0x3800; //start of bls on atmega168

uint16_t ReadAddr;

void SetupTimer0B(void) {
  TCCR0B = 0;           // stop the timer
  TCCR0A = 0;           // mode 0, no OCR outputs
  TCNT0 = 0;            // reset the timer
  TIFR0 = (1<<OCF0B) | (1<<OCF0A) | (1<<TOV0); //clear all pending t0 interrupts
  OCR0B = T0_CYCLES;    // clock cycles from now
  TIMSK0 = (1<<OCIE0B); // OCR0B interrupt enabled
}

uint8_t LpmCmd(void) {
  uint8_t result;

asm volatile(
    "push r0 \n"
    "push r1 \n"
    "push r16 \n"
    "push r30 \n"
    "push r31 \n"

"ldi r16,1 \n"                  // timer 0 start at fClk
    "out %1,r16 \n"                 // set TCCR0B so off we go. This is time 0c

"ldi r30,pm_lo8(ReturnHere) \n" //(1c)
    "ldi r31,pm_hi8(ReturnHere) \n" //(1c)
    "push r30 \n"                   //(2c)
    "push r31 \n"                   //(2c) these addresses must be pushed big-endian

//0x3de6 or 0x1ef3 (word address) is location in bls of lpm instruction
    "ldi r30,0xf3 \n"               //(1c) lo byte 
    "ldi r31,0x1e \n"               //(1c) hi byte
    "push r30 \n"                   //(2c)
    "push r31 \n"                   //(2c)

"lds r30,ReadAddr \n"           //(2c) lpm instruction needs a byte address in Z
    "lds r31,ReadAddr+1 \n"         //(2c)

"ldi r25,0x00 \n\t"             //(1c)
    "ret \n"                        //(4c) goto (return t0) bootloader via address we pushed onto stack
//   lpm r25,z+                       (3c) 24c total, timer set to 22 due to ISR latency (x-2)

"ReturnHere: \n"                // interrupt returns to this location
    "mov %0,r25 \n"                 // save byte that lpm instruction fetched 

"pop r31 \n"
    "pop r30 \n"
    "pop r16 \n"
    "pop r1 \n"
    "pop r0 \n"
    : "=r" (result) : "I" (kTCCR0B)
  );
  return(result);
}

// This timer interrupt fires during bootloader execution immediately after the lpm instruction.
// But, if we would simply return (reti), we would go back to the bootloader. So, first we pop the
// return address (discard it) and then do a reti, which takes us back to the "ReturnHere" location, 
// which LpmCmd() previously pushed on the stack.
ISR(__vector_15, ISR_NAKED) {
  asm volatile(
    "ldi r30,0  \n"
    "out %0,r30 \n" //stop timer 0
    "out %1,r30 \n" //reset timer 0
    "ldi r30,%2 \n"
    "out %3,r30 \n" //clear interrupts on timer 0
    "pop r30 \n"    //pop ISR return, so we return to LpmCmd
    "pop r30 \n"    //understand we are trashing value in r30 here, but that shouldn't matter...
    "reti \n"
    : : "I" (kTCCR0B), "I" (kTCNT0), "I" (T0_TIFR0), "I" (kTIFR0)
  );
}

void setup(void) {
  uint8_t b;

Serial.begin(9600);
  ReadAddr = BLS_START;
  SetupTimer0B();
  for (uint8_t i=0; i<32; i++) {
    Serial.print(ReadAddr, HEX); 
    Serial.print(": ");
    for (uint8_t j=0; j<8; j++) {
      b = LpmCmd();      //read byte
      OCR0B = T0_CYCLES; //reset timer
      ReadAddr++;        //advance to next byte
      if (b < 0x10)
        Serial.print("0");
      Serial.print(b, HEX);
    }
    Serial.println(); 
  }
}

void loop(void) { }

Published previously here.

Hmm, very interesting reading for me. Have +1 from me. I will have a theme for testing if this really works.
Which type of Atmel MCU you've tested?

Suppose you ICSP hex straight to the AVR without a bootloader? Then guess who has control? You.

I can't think of a reason that it shouldn't work.
Did you confirm that the object code produced is what you thought it should be?
I'll note that I think SPM is likely to be a "slower" instruction than LPM, giving the timer ISR a bit more leeway, but that doesn't explain why it works without the boot section "locked."

You can't call the flash write routines when they're locked.

The bootloader sets the bounds for LPM and SPM doesn't it?

AVR Forth doesn't use a bootloader just so it can extend into its own flash. It grows during runtime.

Budvar10:
Hmm, very interesting reading for me. Have +1 from me. I will have a theme for testing if this really works.
Which type of Atmel MCU you've tested?

All of my testing was on an Atmega168 arduino. I plan to expand to the 328 and my ATMEL-ICE arrives today for some better debugging.

Here's what I find odd:

1. When lock bits off, the program works as advertised.
  2. If you attempt an LPM from the application section, with the lock bits set, the LPM returns a byte. It’s wrong, but it returns a byte.
  3. With the lock bits set, my program runs amok.
  4. As set, the lock bits don’t prohibit an LPM instruction from the BLS (per the datasheet).

Your ideas are most welcome.

westfw:
I can't think of a reason that it shouldn't work.
Did you confirm that the object code produced is what you thought it should be?
I'll note that I think SPM is likely to be a "slower" instruction than LPM, giving the timer ISR a bit more leeway, but that doesn't explain why it works without the boot section "locked."

I've been through the object code with a fine tooth comb, and it's what I expected. The fact that it works with the lock bits off seems to verify the timing is correct. I'm going to do some timing experiments and see what I discover there. Thanks for the idea.

I discovered the issue.

With the normal arduino lock bit setting (per the datasheet):

“…if Interrupt Vectors are placed in the Application section, interrupts are disabled while executing from the Boot Loader section.”

Which I find a bit confusing, because there are provisions to allow critical interrupts when the bootloader is running. However, the standard bootloader does have an IVT with it, but it doesn’t have the vector to my program’s timer0 ISR (it has the standard __bad_interrupt vector in its place).

To prove this I downloaded the complete flash, wrote my timer0 ISR vector into the bootloader IVT and Presto the code now works as advertised.

So now I need to figure something else out…

if Interrupt Vectors are placed in the Application section, interrupts are disabled while executing from the Boot Loader section.

Shouldn't that break BootJacker in general? What are the provisions for "critical interrupts when the bootloader is running" that you mention, other than IVSEL ? (which I don't think is used by any of the arduino bootloaders.)

Bootjacker only works with the lock bits disabled, which I guess, is how his Fignition project is configured. Bootjacker first tests the lock bits and bails if they are enabled. Interrupts in the BLS require a different lock bit setting than the standard arduino (the bootloader doesn't use any interrupts).

In the case of the arduino lock bits, interrupts are disabled when my program calls the LPM instruction in the BLS. So my call never returns, because my timer interrupt never fires. It appears the IVSEL setting is immaterial.

As a confirmation, I modified the instruction after the LPM in the BLS to a “RET”, and ran my program without using the interrupt, and it works. With and without the lock bits set.

So the answer to my question is, “Yes, maybe.” An LPM instruction in the BLS can read the BLS, it just can’t do it with the method I attempted.

BTW, I’m a little annoyed with my new ATMEL-ICE (~$40). When using debugWire with an arduino, calls into the BLS are prevented, as ATMEL Studio depicts the BLS as solid “FF FF FF…”. However, when you return from the debug session, the bootloader is still there. Also, you scare yourself about once per debug session into thinking you bricked the chip. It seems like it takes a magical combination of nearly hidden menu selections to get in and out of debug mode. The combination of ATMEL Studio 6.2, debugWire and arduino is very fragile.

I've also been unable to get AS6 to "just debug the code that's already in the chip, damn it!"
It really wants to have the .hex/.elf/symbols/etc on the host before it does anything :frowning: