can this be done?

Hi All--first time poster and newbie to programming and need a little help. My background: Radio tech from the dark ages , you know those valve and transistor things. I can read a schematic and trouble shoot analogue gear , but would like to step into the digital world. Here goes----I have built the attached CV to MIDI device and all works OK. https://obsoletetechnology.wordpress.com/projects/cv-gate-to-midi-converter/ Want I want to do is make it possible to modify the existing code to allow an LCD to display Midi channel , mode etc. It has been suggested to me that the PIC16f88 does not have enough gpio's to allow this. Would it be feasible to run this program on a Arduino uno r3 and use the LCD library to achieve this? Thanks for listening. Regards

You can run the project on an Arduino but the code will need changing to cope with the processor specific differences. Things like pin assignments and serial interface and so on.

Thanks grumpy—was hoping you’d chime in.
Seen your site , you like music and mess around with Midi.
I sought of understand the pin assignment stuff but the “so ons” have me wondering.
It seems I have to learn C ,hope that’s not hard.
The digital world with all it’s acronyms seems like Klingon or oogalaboogla to me .
Any good sites that can help me learn this.
Regards

spuddo: Thanks grumpy---was hoping you'd chime in. Seen your site , you like music and mess around with Midi. I sought of understand the pin assignment stuff but the "so ons" have me wondering. It seems I have to learn C ,hope that's not hard. The digital world with all it's acronyms seems like Klingon or oogalaboogla to me . Any good sites that can help me learn this. Regards

Hi spuddo: start with the sketches in the Examples menu of the Arduino IDE.

spuddo: The digital world with all it's acronyms seems like Klingon or oogalaboogla to me .

There are sites that track acronyms. Just bookmark one.

Thanks Chris and Aarg---will do. This old fart needs all the help he can get. BTW Aarg is your name an acronym !!!! Regards

Well the "and so on" was because I had not downloaded the code and while C is portable in that it should at least compile when it comes to talking to the hardware it depends on if the hardware is there or not and how it needs addressing. Yes I like messing about with music stuff. So much so I wrote this book. http://www.apress.com/9781484217207

Hi Mike , just bought your book. Seems we are of the same vintage--school in the 60's---,can't remember much, but hey it was fun---apparently !!!! The long and the short of this topic is , it can be done , now it's up to me to learn this C thingy. Thanks to all, for your replies----standby for more questions as I come to grips with what I've started. Regards

Thanks for buying the book. I have yet to see the finished thing myself.

Good luck and I am ready for anything you ask.

Not chasing you away from Arduino, but have you considered to use a PIC in the same family with more pins (28 or 40)? I have been out of PIC development for a very long time and have not followed the developments of new PIC microcontrollers but as far as I recall it should be possible to use the existing code straight away (or with minimal changes).

Next you can add new functionality using other pins.

Thanks Mike , you may regret that offer :) Thanks for your suggestion sterrtje--they both use C , if I get it working in both camps I could be called multi skilled. Regards