can this be done?

basically, a house light (not a lamp) connected to a dimmer switch >

a program called f.lux that dims your p.c. screen the later it gets based on geographical location, so 8 am light is bright, 8pm light starts fading 10 pm light is very dark so by 12 midnight the light is virtually turned off?

I dont need a p.c. to do this for me I just need that to happen to the light if there is a simple way to do it.

i.e. circuit board connected to the dimmer switch a light sensor that operates opposite , so when it is going dark the dimmer will also start to go dark on a standard house light that will dim it as the time gets later and later,

if something like this is beyond the arduino any recommendations?

have i missed something really obvious?

^^^^
The exact setup is this my grandparents need an effect called sundowning in their house they do not go to bed at a normal time as they cant tell exactly what time it is and their minds havent switched off so they dont feel tired when they should ,

I know F.lux has this effect with your computer screen and you can work out if you cant see something it because its dark you should go to bed. I believe its some kind of conditioning, they dont have a computer screen or a tv they sit and listen to a radio but might not register the actual time even if it tells them,
to johnnt010 "That made about zero sense...

Why do you need a dimmer switch when you also want the light to be fully automated in it's brightness?

I think you need to form a better specification and think through what you are exactly trying to solve."

I dont need a dimmer switch if making the light brightness change darker can be acheived without one, just trying to find something that will work for them

That made about zero sense...

Why do you need a dimmer switch when you also want the light to be fully automated in it's brightness?

I think you need to form a better specification and think through what you are exactly trying to solve.

you can connect the light to a PWM pin on an Arduino to dim and brighten a light.

As for sensing time, you can either use Millis() and unsigned long to manually create a timer, like this:

byte seconds = 0;
byte minute = 0;
byte hours = 0;

unsigned long previousMillis = 0;
const long oneSecond = 1000UL;

void setup() {

Serial.begin(9600);

}

void loop() {

if (millis() - previousMillis >= oneSecond) {

seconds++;
    if (seconds > 59) {

minute++;
      seconds = 0;

}

if (minute > 59) {

hours++;
      minute = 0;

}

char currentTime[10] = "";
    snprintf(currentTime, sizeof(currentTime), "%02d:%02d:%02d", hours, minute, seconds);
    Serial.println(currentTime);

previousMillis += oneSecond;
  }
}

Then, apply it to dimming or brightening an LED. In this quick sketch I made, after every second, the led will get slightly brighter. When the counter hits 255 seconds, the led will get dimmer every second.

int led = 9; // led

int seconds = 0;

unsigned long previousMillis = 0;
unsigned long oneSecond = 1000UL; // for timer

boolean up = true; // true/false for going up or down in counter

void setup() {

Serial.begin(9600); // begin serial com so you can see timer

}

void loop() {

if (millis() - previousMillis >= oneSecond) {

if (up == true) { 

seconds++;

}

else {

seconds --;

}

if (seconds >= 255) {

up = false;

}

if (seconds <= 0) {

up = true;

}

previousMillis += oneSecond;

analogWrite(led, seconds);
    Serial.println(seconds);

}

}

With these two concepts in mind, mess with the numbers a little bit to fit your needs in a span of hours, in this case.

Or, use a GPS shield to check the real time and use if/else statements to brighten or dim the light. (this would still involve the use of a PWM pin).

maxxryno:
basically, a house light (not a lamp)

If you mean a mains voltage lamp or light then buy a suitable and safe controller. Or employ a qualified electrician. Do not mess with mains voltages.

...R

maxxryno:
basically, a house light (not a lamp) connected to a dimmer switch >

dispite the almost universal misconception, a LAMP is a BULB. a FIXTURE holds the bulb and the shroud and often a switch.

many people think a lamp is the fixture because of the way people describe the use of the bulb.

[rant mode]
also interesting is that the most ignorant people get to chose the meaning of the words and how they are used. once some incorrect use becomes popular and spreads like a virus, it starts to get written by other ignorant people into the books and papers of the era. there is a tipping point were the overwhelming majority have no clue as to the correct use, only the popular use and the ivory tower scholars then re-write the dictionaries.

[watch out for anyone who offers 'overwhelming majority' as a means of authority. ]

if you want to know the actual meaning of a word, go back to the dictionary of the father of the writer. especially when you read older books or the way it is used does not make sense to you. [/rant mode]

Times of sunrise and sunset drift throughout the year. Perhaps you've noticed! What you need is a sun position calculator. Quit now if you're not an experienced programmer.