Can we have a poll to see if people want to revert to previous forum software?

I don't know how to create a topic that is a poll. If I did I would do it myself.

I want the old system back!

...R

heehee +several hundred!

Given the choice, I would vote for reverting. The new implementation is worse in lots of small but cumulatively significant ways, and offers no advantages that I can see. If there was a reason for the change, I'd be interested to know what it was.

This is why I don't have issues buying Chinese arduino clones. The Chinese will probably get it right.

Just so I understand, was this strictly a change to the user interface, or were there also hardware or software upgrades to improve performance, reliability, etc.?

zoomkat:
This is why I don't have issues buying Chinese arduino clones. The Chinese will probably get it right.

This is a total non-sequitur. Are you saying Chinese forums are easier to use?

PeterH,

Perhaps enumerating a few of the "small but cumulatively significant..."
would be helpful.

There's a thread about the problems with the new forum:

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=190894.0

Thanks Nick.

I think it would be more effective if posts in this Thread are restricted to something like "I want the old forum back" or "I want to keep the new forum"

...R

There are thousands of users of the forum, and as a general rule people who are happy don't post "I love this" sort of posts.

So whilst I sympathise, a handful of complaints probably are not going to influence the forum operators much, nor should they, probably.

If you want to make out a specific case for things that are going wrong, then they can be addressed. Already various things we have reported have been fixed.

Nick, my idea for a Poll is to get some sort of democratic view. If most people think the new forum is better then I will just have to live with the parts I don’t like.

I am very confused about the role of “global moderators” in relation to the change. Are you (for example) one of the people involved in designing the changes? If I remember correctly you were the person who put up the notice advising that the forum would be offline for the change.

If not then who did make the decision and why has he (or she) not come forward to explain why the changes were needed and what improvements they bring for us, the users. If the whole purpose of the change was to encourage people to spend money that would be appalling.

I accept that some of the complaints have been dealt with but there has been a deafening silence from “the person in charge” in relation to all of the comments.

Perhaps there should be a “proper” forum in competition with this one? (After all that would be in the true spirit of Open Source)

…R

I think like any group we are just going thru some growing pains. The number of users continue to rise, the amount of spam attempts continue to rise. I'm pretty sure the new forum will be a big help for both of those. Please have a little patience as early transition issues are worked out.

CrossRoads:
I think like any group we are just going thru some growing pains. The number of users continue to rise, the amount of spam attempts continue to rise. I'm pretty sure the new forum will be a big help for both of those. Please have a little patience as early transition issues are worked out.

agreed
but would be easier if we felt that the issues were at least acknowledged
you can get away with murder if you keep people informed!

Robin2:
I am very confused about the role of "global moderators" in relation to the change. Are you (for example) one of the people involved in designing the changes?

Not at all, we only heard about it a few days before the announcement.

If I remember correctly you were the person who put up the notice advising that the forum would be offline for the change.

Our rôle was to convey the announcement to the forum.

As moderators we merely "moderate" content and disputes. We have no administrative control, except the ability to ban spammers, move posts around etc.

I agree it would be helpful if the administrator(s) kept everyone better informed, I am guessing they are working their way through CSS stylesheets etc. trying to fix the reported bugs.

One of the problems with the forum is that there is too much traffic. These changes only make this worse by forcing you to keep going back to the front page for the unread replies and new posts links.

dgerman:
PeterH,

Perhaps enumerating a few of the "small but cumulatively significant..."
would be helpful.

I have reported several of them separately on the feedback thread.

Given that the forum only uses half the width of the screen, it is extraordinarily wasteful to then waste the top quarter of the page on a blank green panel with no useful content or value. The fact that this reduces to a much narrower panel when I scroll down (with the same content) confirms that the author knew it was not needed. In fact the behaviour of keeping the panel at the top of the screen, while no doubt very impressive use of web technology, is useless to me and just means that part of the screen is no longer available to display posts in. That is ultimately why I come here - not to be impressed by web site skills.

The pages all seem to load a considerable amount of data after the useful content has completed loading and displaying. This all appears to be associated with the shopping basket, which is a feature which is irrelevant to me as a forum user. I have no need to switch back and forth between shopping and forumming and I rather doubt anyone else has either.

The format of message headers in the forum is poorly designed and wastes space. When a thread has a long title, the title is not displayed on one line with details and navigation links underneath it - instead, these two sets of data are displayed side by side forcing both of them to be wrapped.

None of these are huge issues in their own right but each of them gives the impression that user experience has not been properly considered.

To compensate for these irritations, the benefit to me of the new forum software is ... nothing at all, as far as I can see. I can't think of one single solitary thing that it does better than the previous version.

This new forum is VERY SLOW, almost unusable.

Getting to pages is tough, with no feedback when you manage to select a too-small number.
Would adding a Next and Previous be difficult?

Inputting and editing text is filled with delays, and positioning
the text cursor does not work properly, often jumping back to the
beginning of the line. Is the one animated “<-M” icon causing problems?

The certificate problem is still there.

How about the forum administration posting a list of known problems?
Or, is the forum too slow for them to use?

The forum is WAY too SLOW to be a useful tool.

The forum is WAY too SLOW to be a useful tool.

I am not seeing these issues. What are you using for a viewing device (as it doesn't read like you are on a computer)?

garygid:
This new forum is VERY SLOW, almost unusable.

Getting to pages is tough, with no feedback when you manage to select a too-small number.

It seems OK to me, so the device you are using could be an influencing factor. It you state what it is we can let the forum administrator know.

Performance has been good here. Most or all of the functionality that I missed has been restored. There are still visual differences, but they’re pretty much just that to me, differences, not better or worse, I’ll get used to them fairly quickly.