Can we redistribute Arduino's COM driver for commercial use?

Hi, this is Yasuo.

We will produce our product based on Arduino mega 2560. And this product is communicate with PC by arduino mega 2560 USB driver. arduino.cat and arduino.inf So, we want to distribute only above 2 files to our customer. Can Arduino permit to do this?

Best regards, Yas

YasuoSuto: Hi, this is Yasuo.

We will produce our product based on Arduino mega 2560. And this product is communicate with PC by arduino mega 2560 USB driver. <=== sorry, not so! There is a USB chip, spec is Open. arduino.cat and arduino.inf So, we want to distribute only above 2 files to our customer. Can Arduino permit to do this?

Best regards, Yas

Many clone Arduinos use a chip they get cheap, hard part is getting drivers when you can't read the download site. CH340 or CH350? I have 3, they worked after I tracked drivers down.

The standard chip costs more, may be a little more solid or at least have longer service records. What the USB chip does is not simple.

Have you looked into the USB/AVR chips? They can change from CDC to HID mode and have full USB speed.

Yes, as the driver is based on Dean Camera’s LUFA open source software. You must include a copy of the license agreement with your distribution.

License page: http://www.fourwalledcubicle.com/files/LUFA/Doc/170418/html/_page__license_info.html

We will produce our product based on Arduino mega 2560. And this product is communicate with PC by arduino mega 2560 USB driver. arduino.cat and arduino.inf

The windows-side .cat and .inf files are little more than a mapping from the Arduino VID/PID to the windows standard CDC/ACM drivers that are from microsoft (and a standardish part of windows.)

Depending on what "based on" means, you perhaps are supposed to get your own USB VID (Vendor ID) and create your own .inf and .cat files. It's pretty much a no-no to have your non-arduino device identify itself as an "Arduino Mega from Arduino Inc" (based on USB Implementers Forum rules, not source-code issues.) (It would be OK if you were actually including an Arduino Mega BOARD inside your product.)

This is another reason that a lot of derivative products use a different USB chip. If you don't need the 16u2's added USB functionality, it'd be a lot easier to use some other USB chip or module. (The chip vendors (FTDI, WCH, Cypress, SILabs, etc) are perfectly happy to have their vendor ID show up in people's products.) (also, many of the modules from China, or even the more recent FTDI chips, end up being much cheaper than a 16u2 based solution!)

Hi, this is Yasuo working for Japanese Maker.

I wonder if this question can be posted this forum... If not, please tell me appropriate forums.

We will produce our product based on Arduino mega. This machine is communicate with PC by USB com port, that is "Arduino Mega 2560". So, we want to distribute this driver for our customer. Can we redistribute the driver which is only "arduino.cat & arduino.inf" without any contract?

Thanks, Yas

DON'T CROSS POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=538156 I HAVE REPORTED THIS THREAD TO THE MODERATORS This is the second time you crossposted. You've already been asked not to do that.

You already have a thread for this topic with people trying to help you.

Threads merged.

Thanks everyone for your advice for us!! However, I'm confusing by some opinions about this. Unfortunately, we are fixed the hardware board based on atmega2560 & 16u2. We cannot use CH340 or other serial-USB device.

1) Mr. avr_fred said "OK, but you must include a copy of the license agreement with your distribution."

Mr. avr_fred, We supposed that it's Ok as you said. Because, the comment is including in arduino.inf.

; Arduino is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify ; it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by ; the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or ; (at your option) any later version. ; ; This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, ; but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of ; MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the ; GNU General Public License for more details. skip the rest...

2) Mr. westfw said "Depending on what "based on" means, you perhaps are supposed to get your own USB VID (Vendor ID) and create your own .inf and .cat files. It's pretty much a no-no to have your non-arduino device identify itself as an "Arduino Mega from Arduino Inc" (based on USB Implementers Forum rules, not source-code issues.) (It would be OK if you were actually including an Arduino Mega BOARD inside your product.)

Mr. westfw, Our product is a original board based on Mega2560 & 16u2, but not pure Arduino Mega BOARD. We considered about vid/pid as you said. However, we thought we can redistribute the driver as Mr.avr_fred & arduino.inf's comment. I want to ask you suggestion again as against above our supposition & Mr.avr_fred's suggestion.

If we cannot redistribute that driver, we thought distribute our product attached with our original modified partially free software(GPL) package which including that driver (arduino.cat & arduino.inf).

Thanks again, Yas

Mr. pert & Mr.Coding Badly,

I'm so sorry!! Because I did not get used to it, I seemed to have lost my question, so I cross-posted it today. Thank you for the merge.

Thanks, Yas

Mr. westfw

I skipped your important comments. "a mapping from the Arduino VID/PID to the windows standard CDC/ACM drivers that are from microsoft (and a standardish part of windows.)" ”based on USB Implementers Forum rules, not source-code issues.”

I really understand and agree with you. We will search for this solution.

Best regards, Yas