Can we simulate additional VIN pin in Adruino Due like software Serial pin?

Dear All,

I have fair experience in C++ programming and new to Electronics. Currently learning to program in Arduino.
I am working on a personal project similar to a Point of Sale machine using Arduino Due.

All I use is 7 inch TFT touch display with RA8875 shield(from https://www.buydisplay.com/serial-spi-arduino-7-inch-tft-lcd-touch-shield-ra8875-for-mega-due-uno) connected to Arduino. I have purchased a thermal printer that needs 5V power supply from (Serial Thermal Printer - 2 inch (Panel Mount Type) - Serial wired printers - Thermal printer solutions - Products) where as arduino due's regulated operating range is 3.3V.

For this reason I can power my arduino with power jack using 5V/ 3A power adapter to power both Arduino and thermal printer.

The 7 inch display uses few pins along with VIN and 5V pin. Now I need VIN pin for connecting thermal printer but it is already occupied by the TFT display. Any other digital pin using pinMode(pin,OUTPUT) and digitalWrite(pin,HIGH) gives only 3.3V.

Can we simulate a software VIN pin in arduino? or how can I draw 5V output from Arduino for connecting the thermal printer.

Please suggest as I do not want to purchase another thermal printer again.
Thanks in advance.

How much current draws your thermal printer ? (IMO it would be better to power the thermal printer from an AC/DC converter).

The DUE powered thru the USB cable can't provide more than 500 mA. When powered with a battery pack thru the jack, the DUE can provide 800 mA (it's cautious to remain way under 800 mA though).

There are 5 hardware serial plus a software serial library from antodom on github. I would be very surprised if your display used all available pins for hardware serial.

There is a handy screw shield available for the DUE formfactor at crossroadsfencing.com:

http://www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17/

What you need to do is have your 5V/3A supply split into 3 connectors so one goes to your Due, One to your TFT and one to your thermal printer. If your power supply is a barrel jack, they make adaptors than turn those into 2 screw terminals which you could use, along with some wire. Or, you could cut the barrel connector off and solder up some wires yourself.

ard_newbie:
How much current draws your thermal printer ? (IMO it would be better to power the thermal printer from an AC/DC converter).

The DUE powered thru the USB cable can't provide more than 500 mA. When powered with a battery pack thru the jack, the DUE can provide 800 mA (it's cautious to remain way under 800 mA though).

Arduino Due and Vin, 3.3V and 5V power inputs - Arduino Stack Exchange

There are 5 hardware serial plus a software serial library from antodom on github. I would be very surprised if your display used all available pins for hardware serial.

There is a handy screw shield available for the DUE formfactor at crossroadsfencing.com:

Cross Roads Electronics

Thanks @ard_newbie for the reply. The thermal printer I mentioned here requires 5V 3 A. I was looking for ways to simulate a VIN pin or redirect or copy the VIN pin to some other un used digital pin. Not the software serial. I'll be looking at the link you shared.

blh64:
What you need to do is have your 5V/3A supply split into 3 connectors so one goes to your Due, One to your TFT and one to your thermal printer. If your power supply is a barrel jack, they make adaptors than turn those into 2 screw terminals which you could use, along with some wire. Or, you could cut the barrel connector off and solder up some wires yourself.

Thanks @blh64* , *I'll be trying this. Thanks