Can you damage your arduino by using Pin 0 and 1?

Hi,

I used the PIN 0 and 1 ti read the status of a switch in a endless loop without a delay (Arduino UNO+win7+Arduino 1.0). Now I get always the message "avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00" when I try to upload a scetch. I tried hunderts of variations: - upload "blink" - press the reset-button just before the upload - disconect all wires - keep the reset button pressed while uploading - Another PC - connect the board just before the upload - ... With the same PCs and USB cable there is no problem to upload a scetch to another Arduino Mega. Have I damaged my Arduino by uploading the scetch?

Thank you Guys

If you plug it back in, can you still read the serial output? That should tell you if it is broken or not. As for actually loading a new sketch, I'm not sure... Good luck though!

Pin 0 and pin 1 are the RX/TX lines for the Arduino's serial port. If you have a switch tied to these lines, you can't communicate with your Arduino. So long as you didn't short one of those pins to V+ while it was set as an output, it shouldn't be damaged, but you probably have to disconnect the switch to get serial comms working again.

If you did damage the RX or TX line, your micro is likely unusable (damaging other IO lines typically just means that IO point can't be used anymore, but since the RX/TX lines are required to program the Arduino, they're essential to using it).

If it's a DIP AVR, you just have to spend a few bucks getting a new AVR IC and swap them out. Just be sure to buy a new IC that's already preloaded with the bootloader, unless you already know what needs to be done to upload a bootloader to a new micro.

I used a 10kOhm Pull up resitance to the raise it to +5v and shorten it to the ground when pressing the switch. Could this have damaged the Pin? I already disconected all pins. So the switch is already disconnected. Unfortunatly there is no Serial output generated by the sketch. Do you recomend to not use this pins at all? Can I use at least one of them?

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,73748.0.html

Follow the link and do what it says there to see if your Arduino's Serial port is working. Maybe if you still have that sketch loaded to your Arduino, it closes the Serial port. Try this and see if it works!

The way you used the switch does not sound like the chip should be damaged.

If you have already tried all the standard stuff like pressing the reset button just as "Uploading" appears and the loopback test and it still doesn't work, you can try either

1. Replacing chip entirely with new ATmega328
  2. Buying ISP like AVRISPmkII, USBTinyISP, or use another Arduino as ISP and program over SPI instead of Serial. That way you can upload a test program to blink pins 0 and 1.

lukeskymuh: I used a 10kOhm Pull up resitance to the raise it to +5v and shorten it to the ground when pressing the switch. Could this have damaged the Pin?

That shouldn't damage anything.

lukeskymuh: I already disconected all pins. So the switch is already disconnected. Unfortunatly there is no Serial output generated by the sketch.

If the sketch is using those pins for other purposes, then you aren't going to get any serial output.

lukeskymuh: Do you recomend to not use this pins at all? Can I use at least one of them?

You can use those pins for one purpose. That purpose can be Serial comms, or some other IO function, but not both. If you want to have Serial communications, then you can't use those pins for anything else.

Thank you jraskell,

I declared the both pins as input. So they do not send anything and no Serial output should be visible.

I just need the serial comm when uploading. If I used these PINs for another purpose is it still possible to upload a new sketch without problems?

Another Question: I also used a 12V power supply while uploading via USB. Could that had damaged the board?

You may need to unplug any wires that go into pins 0 and 1 during the uploading process. That's all.

The 10K pull up resistor is fighting the 1K seriese resistor. This results in a logic zero of 0.5V which under some circumstances might not be enough. Try changing the pullup resistor to 22K.

As long as the button is wired correctly and it is not presses during upload it should not damage the arduino.