Can you have LED's light up by more than 1 button? If you have 66 LEDs;5 buttons

Hello -

I am working on an interactive for a Natural History Museum.
This interactive will highlight information on areas of land that the museum owns.
They have a design for this that they'd like to achieve and are asking me what may be possible - which is where I could use your help.
Is this possible - if so, what would it take?
You can get as broad (general connection description) or specific as you'd like (coding).
Diagram attached (it says 60 LEDs but there are 66*)

Description:
There are 66 land areas (LEDs) on a 3D map.
Each land area would ideally have its own singular LED.
5 categories (Buttons) will be chosen for these land areas.
Each category (push button) will activate the land areas (LEDs) that fall under that category.
Some land areas (LEDs) will need to light up in more than one category (push button).

Equipment
No equipment is sourced yet, and budget isn't an issue so we can acquire whatever may achieve this.

How may this be possible? And with so many LEDs?
Thank you!

What about one button for each area, triggering the show associated with that area?

Railroader:
What about one button for each area, triggering the show associated with that area?

Thank you for your suggestion, however that would be 66 buttons - not a very easy-to use interactive for museum visitors of all ages, and it wouldn't achieve the desired message of the designers which is to show the features of the natural land areas.

My suggestion is based on similar arrangements in museum environments I've seen in life.
How would You like to select area?

First you need a way to address/control 66 LEDs. [u]This Example[/u] shows how you can serially address almost any number of LEDs with 3 control lines. Or, there are addressable LEDs & addressable LED strips.

Or, there are special-purpose serially addressed LED drivers. For example I have a project with six daisy-chained [u]MAX6968[/u] chips driving 48 LEDs.

And of course you'll need to read the buttons.

Some land areas (LEDs) will need to light up in more than one category (push button).

That's just a combination of [u]if[/u], [u]and[/u], & [u]or[/u] logic.

Just work on one thing at a time - I'd start with the LEDs because that's the most complicated part. Then work on reading the buttons.

Then, start putting the logic together.

But you probably should define the basic logic first and make sure it's... logical! And make sure it's clear what you want to do.

Two things.

For 66 LEDs, you can use an Arduino Nano and a matrix module using the MAX7219.

This drives 64 LEDs and requires only three pins to control, so for an extra two, you will have spare pains available on the Nano even after your six buttons. And you need no extra pins to add more MAX7219s. :sunglasses:

Easiest way to use the MAX7219 is to get a partly assembled matrix module, do not mount the matrix or its socket pins but solder your own LED matrix to the board pads. Only 16 connections for 64 LEDs.

The big problem is that you have not properly explained how you want six buttons to select the LED groups. It seems you have only six alternate groupings of LEDs that need to be illuminated but some may overlap. That is dead easy with the MAX7219 and Arduino Nano (or a Pro Mini if you almost never need it to be changed after the initial programming)! :grinning: