Can you help me solder this arduino rotary encoder to a pcb

i want this pcb flat as a pancake

looks like i am going to be putting a little piece of plastic of 3mm under my encoder !!

yes a cable is a good idea, but i would love my pcb to be in one piece with nothing hangging off, makeks it more simple, more compact..

i guess im not the only one with issues
from that previous link you sent i read
First, the KY040 doesn’t seem to be very well documented, particularly in regards to connecting it to an Arduino.

My main reference ended up being this forum post in arduino.cc. Even that didn’t give much of an explanation of the pins on the board.

and sadly that page doesnt exist anymore !

ok I feel like i'm losing your attention !
how about ending this issue in a musical manner?
how do you make sound and/or music with a rotary encoder as a sound source/oscillator ?

It is the most documented rotary encoder there is.

All rotary encoders are connected in the same way no matter what the computer. Connect the ground or common to ground, one of the switch contacts to ground as well. Connect the other end of the switch to an input pin, and the two phase outputs to input pins as well. Connect 0.1 uF capacitors between each input pin on your processor to ground.

Then enable the internal pull up resistors in software or put 1K pull up resistors on each processor input.

Your PCB should be supported using at least four points, mounted on either threaded or unthreaded pillars.

You have the choice of a panel mount for the encoder or a PCB one.

Simple you don’t.

its just I read there was a square wave...
hmm music to my ears

do you have an example of a pcb one a visual? so i can see what it looks like before I decide on a pcb layout ?

what if i used the case to add the missing structure for encoder ?
what do you think ? could it work? that way nothing more needed just case designed in advance

How about this one?

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/bourns-inc/PEC12R-4220F-S0024/4499653

24 pulses per revolution. 24 detents per revolution. Doesn't stick up much (20mm).

Refer to post #6.

Here are some pictures of 5 KY040 modules mounted in a pentagonal box and attached to a Raspberry Pi.
The circuit of a KY040 module

A photo of the KY040 showing brass stand off pillars to mount it on the lid.

Five encoders mounted on the lid of a pentagonal box.

The final project attached to the Raspberry Pi. Note I could have mounted the Raspberry Pi to GPIO interface board inside the box if I had wanted to.

Refer to post #6.
i meant the pcb board that will host the rotary

thanks good info,
practical that version of rotary has holes in it!

hi,
I have a simple question can I actually sit this rotary encoder down have the pins pass through my pcb and solder the pins on the other side, like for conventional pins.
Or do i have to have a row of black female socket that is soldered to pcb like on a arduino mega ?

Capture d’écran 2021-11-04 à 14.11.14

also I am looking for the footprint with all technical details and dimensions of rotary encoder,

thank you

Or you attach a connector with a cable. Just for completeness.

hi thank you for your answer,
I am trying to make a pcb version of my arduino project with no cables added !
is this possible with this model?
I have a version to build in a kit
but I want a version that is "factory built"
thank you

You can but it will not be good. This is because from that photograph there is a pin header on one side. This means the encoder will not sit flat on the PCB, unless you take measures to level it up on the other side. Even then you will need support pillars around the switch mounting to stop the PCB from flexing and possibly cracking a track as it does.